Saturday 16 January 2010

It's raining - thank goodness!!

I never thought I'd say these words...."Yay! It's raining!"...but after 10 days of being virtually housebound I was really glad to see the overnight rain had swept away most of the snow and we are now a green and pleasant land once again.

Stephen ventured into work on Monday and Tuesday. I didn't, because he had to pick up 3 overseas visitors and take them into work so there was no room in the car. I'm glad! The roads were pretty awful by all accounts, despite a partial thaw (there were tales of cars going down the steep and hilly main street in Malvern sideways) and it took him around 1 1/2 hours to drive 5 miles. Tuesday was a bit better, but another snowfall came in overnight and left us with about 6 inches of snow...and another day in the house. We both braved it on Thursday after digging out the car, and despite the roads being a lot better they were still pretty bad! The main roads were okay, the side roads were awful! What surprised me was the road that leads to our work and the high school was terrible...I know its not a main road, but you'd think with the number of cars that use it there would have been some attempt to clear it!

The temperature raised on Thursday afternoon and there was a beginnings of a thaw. This made Stephen a little gallus when driving in on Friday. The site entrance we normally use was now open and he automatically took the usual route into work as opposed to sticking to the main roads. We were doing fine until we got to the hill down to St Andrews Road. It was a mess. He began to turn onto it and then decided that it wasn't a good idea. In fact, it was a very, very bad idea. He tried to turn around onto the road we had just left but began to slide and couldn't get any traction. I was turfed out the car to see what the problem was. I walked round to the front of the car and stood back, he rolled down the passenger window so we could talk. Just as I was explaining the problem was the 9 inches of churned up snow and slush he spun the wheels...and covered me head to toe with a liberal spray of slush!! After a couple of minutes of trying (and me avoiding any further slush showers as best I could) he shouted that I should get in the car as we had no choice but to go down the hill.... I duly got in, and as I was fastening my seat belt he gunned the engine, spun the wheels, and delivered a further face full of slush through the still open passenger window!!! By this point I was wondering if he was doing secret filming and I'd be appearing on You've Been Framed in a few weeks!!!

The hill was "interesting", but we survived and learnt a valuable lesson! Stephen might have learned two, but he was blissfully unaware that he'd been showering me with slush!!

After all this time cooped up in the house we were desperate for food which I hadn't cooked, so we made a beeline for the Tilla - Malvern's newest Indian Restaurant. Yum yum! The food and service are excellent and the portions huge! Stephen did lose further brownie points by failing to order me another drink when he ordered his, but was scolded by not only me, but by the manager who explained that it was essential to keep the ladies happy if you wanted a peaceful life. Wise words! And ones he will never learn!!

No comments: