Tuesday 10 August 2010

What a Wonderful Wedding

Why is it, that despite allowing nights of preparation time, I was still packing at the last minute on Wednesday night and didn't find time to dye my hair? My wedding preparations were hampered, and I'm not sure why! I was joking with a friend that I'd be applying fake tan in the car driving to Glasgow as I simply didn't see how I'd manage to fit it in. As it was, Glasgow was as chilly as expected so the fake tan was not an issue. I had to go and buy tights on Friday morning as if I'd gone bare-legged I'd have been a lovely mottled blue colour after 5 minutes outside!

It monsooned with rain when I was getting ready. To say it was torrential was a bit of an understatement! At one point it looked like someone was throwing buckets of water at the windows! Thankfully, by the time we arrived at the venue at about 3:15 it was dry and the sun was even trying to force its way through the clouds and make an appearance.

I have to talk about the venue now. It was the House for an Art Lover in Bellahouston Park and it was stunning. This was Charles Rennie Macintosh to the max! He and his wife had designed a house for a German magazine competition in 1901. It was disqualified for the minor detail that they were late with their submission (bloody Royal Mail...!), but it did win a special merit prize. During the late 80's Glasgow decided to build it. The architectural and design details are simply beautiful, so I'm exceedingly glad they did!

It was a lovely wedding. As Paul and Kristen are actually married already (they got hitched in Alexandria just before we left) the ceremony was conducted by one of their friends, and they read vows they each had written. I tell you, there was not a dry eye in the house! There was laughter too. They are renowned for being very laid back and doing everything at the last minute which Kristen played on, joking that she had written the vows that morning....actually, it may not have been a joke....but we laughed! It was so lovely to meet Paul and Kristen's friends as well as some members of the family whom I'd never met before, all of whom were funny and charming. We had a hoot!

Stephen wasn't on official photographer duty, but he did have his camera...and his tripod...and set himself up as the "formal shot" photographer. The girl doing the official photos was doing some quite funky stuff, so we figured that someone should take some of the family in their finery...posing for the camera and not with a glass to their lips or mid sentence (as usually happens to me when I'm taken unawares!). This led to a little "camera war" as whatever Stephen did, the girl would appear beside him to take it in a more funky way! Oh, how competitive these photographers can be!!

People's finery was definitely worthy of being captured on camera. The bride and groom looked wonderful, as did the parents (I LOVED Moira's dress) and the rest of us scrubbed up okay too. It was lovely too see so many men in kilts, and I wasn't the only woman with a fascinator perched on her noggin (for once!). I was having something of an outfit crisis though. The little cardigan that I'd bought to wear over the dress just wouldn't sit right, so at the last second I decided to wear the black jacket I'd worn to work the day before. Thank goodness I had a multiple choice of fascinators as the pink one may have looked odd - and someone else was wearing the exact same one!

No comments: