Wednesday 1 September 2010

Trout Pout

I can save myself going to the trouble of having collagen injections in my lips. I can say for sure I do not suit a trout pout! How do I know? Well I've been suffering from an occasional allergic reaction to something for the past few days and on Friday, and again today, I've woken up looking like someone has inserted a golf ball into one of my lips. So attractive....! I am fervently thankful that both lips haven't swollen at once!! It has (so far anyway) been one or the other. The problem is that it takes hours to subside, and I had to go to work today looking like Stephen had given me a thick lip. And what DO you do about lipstick when one of your lips is about 5 times bigger than the other? Stephen suggested just drawing on where my lips would be were they normal size, but in the end I felt I looked ridiculous enough and just went with a slick of nude lip gloss and a hand across my mouth when speaking to people.

It wasn't just my lips that were affected. I also woke up with a raised up rash/spots (it was difficult to tall from where I was looking!) across the back of my leg. I decided that a trip to the Doctors might be in order - just to rule out any nasty contagions. He looked, he said it was an allergy and said that I may never know what it was that was triggering it. How reassuring! I'm sure that in the US I'd have been booked in for blood work to find out! Ah well, shouldn't complain...it is free after all.

The other downside (or maybe not!) is the inability to eat when my lip is swollen. It hampers getting nosh into my mouth and if I do manage to shove some in, the chances of my chewing my enormous lip instead of the food are pretty damn high. I managed a yogurt at lunchtime - the only thing I could shove in that didn't require the added danger of chewing! Consequently, by 5pm I was feeling weak and trembly and had to hit Waitrose in that dangerous "hungry" state. Needless to say, my trolley was full of snacks! I bought a packet of spaghetti and about 10 large bags of chips, pretzels, crisps and peanuts!!!

No comments: