Sunday 20 April 2008

The magical garden isle

It's been a busy few days! For a small island (roughly 32 miles each way) there is a LOT to see! We've spent a lot of the past few days exploring and have driven practically every inch of the major highways of the island (all 4 of them). Sadly it does rain in paradise (well WE are here, so it was bound to happen!). We woke up a couple of days ago and it was pouring at the hotel. Thankfully it cleared up as we headed north, and by the time we got to Hanalei it was beginning to get quite sunny. Yes. Hanalei. We have been to see Puff the Magic Dragon!!! How did the song go? "Puff the Magic Dragon lived by the sea, and frolicked in the April mists in a land called Hanalei". Couldn't have been truer! I know I said this before but this is a beautiful island, each bay and beach more stunning than the last and Hanalei Bay was no exception. Imagine a white sand beach with crystal clear turquoise sea in front of you, and soaring tree covered mountains behind you. It was utterly utterly gorgeous! But then we travelled a few beaches further on and each was more stunning than the last. Truly we feel honoured to have seen them. I will post photos soon - I do need to make you all jealous after all!.

We have seen all the sights reachable by car. There are places that are only accessible by helicopter or by 3 day hike into the interior. And you know I ain't into hiking!!!

We drove up to the Waimea Canyon yesterday. It wasn't a particularly clear day at 3500 feet unfortately so it was difficult to capture the Grand Canyon of the Pacific in all of its majesty. We braved the last 3 miles of badly maintained, pot-holed road up to the final view point - the one that gives you a glimpse of the Na Pali coast - and all we could see was nothing!! The clouds were rolling in and obliterated any view there should have been. Oh well, we'll just have to come back someday!

The Luau was good fun! It began with a drinks reception where we were promised that the barman could mix Mai Tai's that would "make you feel better". I tell you, I didn't need his Mai Tai's in order for him to do that!! Pheweeee!! He mixed a mean Mai Tai, and there was a queue of drooling women to take them off his hands! You have to love a man in a sarong!! There were plenty of lovely ladies for Stephen to drool over too. There were actually wearing coconut shell bikini tops at one point...and I thought that was just in the movies! Its not a style I can see me wearing - I'd need significantly bigger coconuts for a start!!!! The old romantic did buy me a flower lei...after I had marched him over and demanded he do so!! It was lovely, made from fresh flowers and smelt divine, and given with a kiss as tradition demands.

Dinner last night was interesting. We had asked for a recommendation at the hotel and were pointed to The Bull Shed in Kapaa, which is about 10 minutes from the hotel. Thanks to the fantastic directions it took us about an hour to find it!! We had been up and down the town, and half way back to see Puff at one point!!!! Eventually we found it - down a lane, tucked beside a hotel. It was not where I would have chosen, but as it as now 8:30 it was there or the McDonalds across the street. The food was actually pretty okay, but it was Formica tables, so not the most salubrious of settings!

1 comment:

Colin said...

Okay... so I'm living vicariously through your blog post as you travel through, in and around Hawaii and SFO (Napa, et al) and YES I'm jealous! Looks like you're having a wonderful time and I'm very glad about that. I can't wait to hear all about it - and I'm totally missing my Kerry fixes. Stephen looks far more entertaining with the sunburnt face!