Saturday 19 June 2010

Corn bread

Before I had to retire to the sofa last Saturday I had a go at making corn bread for the World Cup BBQ that friends were hosting. As it was England vs USA I said I'd do some good ol' Southern corn bread and chicken wings.

There are many, many recipes for corn bread on the interweb. I should maybe have thought more carefully before picking the one from a UK supermarket, but it got good reviews so I got to work. It obviously got good reviews from people who have never tasted corn bread before!!!! It was disgusting! All the corn bread I've had has been slightly sweet and very delicious. This was way too buttery, and had not the slightest hint of sweetness. It went into the bin and I went back to the internet. This time I picked a recipe from a US website. Luckily for me I had a whole set of measuring cups and enough ingredients to give it a good go. This lot was better, but still not quite up to scratch. (Two attempts at corn bread - is it any wonder I had to go for a lie down?!)

I need a handed down from mother to daughter, generations old, never fails, recipe. Can anyone oblige?

No comments: