Monday 20 July 2009

And your telephones been ringing while you're dancing in the rain...

Thursday evening was the big deal. The return to my teenage years. The chance to see Duran Duran LIVE IN CONCERT at Edinburgh Castle Esplanade. YAAAAAAYY!!!!!

We dropped back to the flat to drop off our big cameras, grab the teeny camera, grab the tickets and jackets before catching a cab back to the Grassmarket for a wee drinkie before the concert. It was a glorious evening so we sat outside one of the many pubs enjoying the sights and smells of the Continental market that was going on. Seemingly the Twins came too judging by the fact that the bloke at the table next to us appeared to be struggling to stop his eyes popping out on stalks!! I gave Stephen the teeny camera to take a photo and - I don't BELIEVE it - we'd forgotten to put the freakin' battery in it!! This left us with our phone camera's only. Us...who ALWAYS have a camera...had no camera!
After a couple of drinks there we walked up to The Hub for a bite to eat and a couple more drinkies. For a rather trendy spot I was rather disappointed by the wine selection..."we have white or red madam". What? You are kidding me! Oh well, white it is then. Thankfully it was decent enough and didn't seem to strip the enamel from my teeth....

We were giggling with relief that we didn't try to sneak silently into the country without telling anyone as we were sitting on the terrace enjoying our drinks when a BBC Scotland camera was going down the street panning down the crowd. Look carefully and you'll see Stephen and me sitting there in the background. That would really have blown our cover!!!

We took our seats about 10 minutes into the support act "Florence and the Machine" who seemed pretty good. We didn't get the chance to tell really...about 10 minutes later lightning tore across the sky in front of us and rain began to fall. Stephen was off like a shot down the stairs. I tried to hold on, but I was getting pretty wet so I followed a minute later. By this time everyone was sheltering under the grandstands trying to stay dry. I failed miserably on the dry part... there were a lot of drips from above and I was standing in a torrent of water. My jeans were doing well with the capillary action and I could actually wring water from the sleeves of my jacket. Of course we hadn't thought to bring brollies as it was beautiful when we left the flay. D'oh!

After about 30 minutes the rain went off and the first tuning up noises were coming from the stage. I headed back to my seat determined not to miss a second, and I'm glad I did. IT WAS BRILLIANT!!! They started off the set with Wild Boys with the lyric about "Dancing in the Rain" which we all loved. The whole crowd was bopping and singing along. I didn't care that I was soaked and probably about to get pneumonia I was having a fabulous time! I've been to SO many concerts where I've liked the artist...but this is probably the first time I've been to one where I've LOVED the band since I was 12!! It could have snowed and I wouldn't have moved!

They played all the hits, everyone was singing, Simon Le Bon was doing bad Dad-dancing, Mark Ronson joined them on stage for a bit...the whole thing was simply wonderful.

We headed to Whighams wine bar for a post-concert drink and I took the opportunity to dry my hair under the hand dryer - shame I didn't wipe off the panda eyes. That'll teach me to check the mirror more carefully! I think I was looking so generally awful that I didn't look at details and had a huge wodge of mascara running down my cheek. Oops - just as well I wasn't on the pull!

No comments: