Saturday 5 December 2009

Sleep deprivation

Our new CEO was visiting our site on Wednesday and Stephen was invited to a breakfast meeting with him, along with some of the other Fellows and graduates. It began at 08:30 sharp (our new CEO cannot abide unpunctuality and who wants to be the person to test that?!) so we were planning to be in at 8am. This meant a re-setting our our alarm clocks the night before....

S: "Right. We need to be up by 7:30 so I'll set mine for 7:20"
K: Thinks - no way! It takes me an hour to get ready. I'll set mine for 7:00...
S: "Hmm - maybe 7:20 is too late. I'll set mine for 7:00"
K: "Better allow some snooze time. I'll set mine for 6:45"
S: "You're right, I'll set mine for ..."
And so this went on until we were practically setting our alarms to go off 2 hours before we went to sleep!!! I think this had a knock-on effect...

I read my book for a bit as I wasn't particularly tired and switched the light out at 11:30. I woke up - wide awake, feeling refreshed and convinced that it was morning. I checked the clock. It said 12:35. I didn't believe it. I checked my watch and was convinced that it said 7am. I checked the clock on the blackberry. It also said 12:35 and I still didn't believe it!! It was only when Stephen grumped at me to stop fidgeting and go back to sleep that I began to realise that it really was only 12:35 and I'd only been asleep for an hour!!!

No comments: