Saturday 5 December 2009

We're lost!

We were invited round to Steve and Graham's for dinner last week as they wanted to show off their new pad as well as their culinary skills. I'd asked for directions and was told that google map directions got you there with no problems. If only that were the case! They might if it was daylight, but it was dark, it was pouring with rain and the car kept misting up. Oh, and did I mention that their house is down little country lanes with precious few road signs? Consequently we couldn't find it! After a few miles of driving about with no sign of it we called them. Stephen and Steve came up with the quite brilliant idea of using the GPS feature on our blackberries to find them. Stephen duly typed in the postcode and we set off...

After a couple of passes through Dymock (which I knew wasn't right), with Stephen getting grumpier and grumpier we tried again. It told us to take a right which we did...at this point I was getting worried for the suspension as we bounced down a farm track. Stephen was convinced it had to be right...until the GPS said we had to take a left...through the electric fence and into a field! This was definitely wrong! Of course there was no place to turn around until we got to the farm house. I was fully expecting a farmer to appear with a shotgun and tell us to "Get orf my laand"!!! We trundled slowly back down the track to the main road, pulled over at the Dymock Golf Club and fired off the distress flare!! I was practically hysterical with laughter when I called and said "come find us!".

Thankfully it didn't take Speedy Steve to find us and lead us back home and we were soon tucking into glasses of fizz. Just as well they hadn't made anything that would spoil as we were nearly an hour late at this point!!! Their new house is lovely! It has beams and everything, plus a kitchen to envy and a huge conservatory. I approve! Dinner was superb. I need to raise my game when they come to us...beans on toast won't cut it!!

We played a couple of games of Buzz on the playstation which was absolutely THE best fun! Stephen is now allowed to buy one!! I got to be Vampira and we could give the opposition a "virtual" cream pie in the face...or as I managed, you could give yourself a cream pie in the face... I have the reflexes of a sloth!!

Graham sparked out relatively early on, so it was just the three of us sitting watching music videos and chatting to the wee small hours. We took up residence in the spare room in the West Wing and soon collapsed into unconsciousness. I woke a couple of hours later needing a wee. The bed was against the wall and I was at the back. Stephen didn't respond well to my pleas to at least sit up so I could crawl out.."Climb over zzzzzzzzz". I was muttering nasty words as I was left with no choice but to do that. When I got back he was lying in the middle of the bed with the duvet tightly wrapped around him. More nasty words were muttered!!! I ended up sleeping under a towel clinging to the edge of the bed whilst he snored away oblivious to my discomfort. He was entirely oblivious actually! The young kitty was mewing and pawing the door at about 7:30, then coz I can't have closed the door properly on the catch, a few seconds later there was a thump as the cat landed on the bed and walked up and all over Stephen's chest. He didn't stir! As he's allergic to some cats (but not this one as it turns out!) I got up and shooed the little kitty out the door. Kitty was SO not speaking to me at breakfast!!! I think he was hoping I would feed him!

On the way home, with directions this time, it turned out we were within 100 yards of the house before we detoured to Dymock. D'oh!

No comments: