Sunday 27 January 2008

Baby, its cold outside....

It has been frikkin' freezing here for days now! It has barely scraped about freezing for around a week...and it was -6C during the day (-12C at night!!) last Sunday. C.O.L.D.!!! Because of this (and because I've been poorly) I wasn't up for venturing out last night...even if it was only 4 blocks to get a pizza. So Stephen kindly went to bring the pizza to me! We had a carpet picnic in front of the fire - fun!
He went along to the Weekend office with Paul. It was billed on the website as the Alan Walker (see I remembered!) band playing, but he sent me a text to say..."its the bass player and his band" at which point I was incredibly relieved I didn't go! Last time we saw then we left early as I got so terribly bored listening to the two (count them!) TWO extended bass guitar solos in each song. It was really self-indulgent and pretty crap! Maybe someone had a word with them (when the clientele walked out early) as last night they played their concert set...which was more Latin American Santana style stuff. Stephen said they were awesome, and he and Paul stayed to the end.
Awwww...poorly Kerry! My first time upright for days!!
We ventured into DC this afternoon, and went to the National Portrait Museum. Its beside Chinatown and the Verizon Centre, and is really very interesting. They have portraits of all the American Presidents on display along with some pertinent facts about their presidency, all of which was fascinating. Its a big place, with some great permanent displays. The Civil War portraits were fascinating - living in Old Town (where he was born), on Lee St it was interesting to see what the great Robert E. Lee actually looked like! I was also fascinated to see photographs of Ulysses Grant and Abraham Lincoln outside tents at Civil War battles. I guess I hadn't worked out the timeline enough, and was surprised that photography existed back then! (Just checked Wiki - it was still new - only 40 years since the first photo to the start of the war.)
It wasn't just the painting that were interesting! The building itself was lovely. It had a really gorgeous courtyard with panels of running water in the floor, and the most incredible ceiling. The gift shop was also fabulous! I got a rather colourful stripy glass plate - very vibrant!!
We're now debating whether to scamper up to Southside's for dinner, or whether to hunker down in front of the fire and eat something from the freezer. Conversation has been like the song...
I really can't stay - Baby it's cold outside
I've got to go away - Baby it's cold outside
My tummy is starting to rumble - Listen to the fireplace roar
So really we'd better scurry - Darling, what's your hurry
well Maybe just a half a drink more - Put some music on while I pour

Our route to work (and into DC) along the GW Parkway.
The Monument shines in the distance.


The Washington and the Jefferson - in the car en-route to DC

Chinatown, NW DC

YeeHaw! Outside the Gallery


Baby, its COLD outside!


The Courtyard of the Museum


A Close up of the courtyard roof


The One. The Only. The Man. The Legend....George Washington

No comments: