Sunday 13 January 2008

Jean jeanie

I have bought my first pair of jeans in something like 30 years! In fact, as they were in the sale, I have bought my first two pairs of jeans!! (I think the levi's were a whole $8!). One pair are, er, slightly more form fitting that the other...they look good, and as long as I don't have to sit down or bend over then they are great!! The other pair have spandex in them and are a lot more forgiving of the bumps, lumps and muffin top!! There are sales galore on at the moment, so I bought some jumpers yesterday too. There was extra discount at the till and I paid only $17 each for them... I'm slightly worried that I might be starting to dress like a Yank. One of the jumpers was a diamond pattern "golf" jumper, and I'm sure I wouldn't have been seen dead in that 6 months ago...yet now I think its rather nice. If anyone ever sees me in a pair of check shorts and a white cardigan with Barbara Bush hair then you have my permission to shoot me.....

We headed out last night for beers and pizza, and thought we would start in O'Connells (always a good place to start!). We ordered drinks from the waiter and waited...and waited some more. Stephen said that he could have gone to the bar, got the drinks, drunk the drinks and be having dinner by now. I thought that we could have got on a plane to St Louis, brewed the beer, got back on a plane, drunk the beer and be having dinner. Anyway, whilst we were waiting Stephen spied Morag and Simon across the bar, so he went over to say hello whilst I guarded the precious table and waited for the drinks. Finally the drinks showed up, and the waiter was really apologetic. A couple on one of his tables had left without paying their bill and he had had to give chase down King St....

Morag and Simon had also bumped into Trevor and Sherree whom none of us had seen since Simon's 40th at the beginning of July. It was lovely (and unexpected!) to see everyone, so we all hooked up and went for tapas (delicious!). As Morag and I were saying, if we had tried to plan this we would never have got everyone together on the same night if we had tried for a year!!

The other bit of excitement today (aside from buying my first jeans in 30 years) was that we went to Harris Teeter and bought British food...baked beans, Heinz tomato soup, Hob Nobs...all the stuff you can't get in the regular Safeway, but sometimes really crave!! I just need to find oxo cubes and back bacon and we'll be sorted!

No comments: