Thursday 3 January 2008

New Years - celebrating the American way

Apologies for not posting - I came down with a bad cold on the 1st and have spent the past couple of days in bed asleep, with a nose that could run in the Olympics for Scotland and a temperature which would allow the frying of eggs on my forehead! However, I have now woken up after another mammoth sleep and feel a lot better...

I must have sensed I was going to be ill when I came back, as on the Sunday we got home I dragged Stephen round Safeway to do a massive food shopping and then came back and cooked massive quantities of food to stock the freezer. So, at least there has been something decent to eat...maybe not the homemade soup I've been craving, but something nice and not some weird-ass American flavour combination! I also began the task of doing the holiday laundry, which has to be the worst bit about going away. It was pouring with rain when we left St Lucia and I suspect that our cases may have been outside for a bit, as everything in them felt kind of damp...which meant, as Stephen had not been a discriminating packer, that I had to wash about 400 t-shirts which hadn't actually been worn. Grrrrrr.

On New Years Eve, after a quick celebration of UK New Year at 7pm we met the McGleads at the Blackfords for drinkies, before heading along to 100 King St for a gala dinner. The food was nice - but, I do have reservations about the Pistachio Creme Brulee I had for dessert, which turned out to be a plate of green!! The company more than made up for the plate of green though! We were sparkling and vivacious...at least until the band started and then (as we were sitting under the PA) we were eventually just drowned out and deaf! There was the usual countdown at midnight, and a champagne toast (although more of a mouthful than a glass - always disappointing as I love fizz!), but no joining hands and singing Auld Lang Syne...the band were quickly back into their set and everyone was up dancing!

As I mentioned, there was a band on upstairs where we were sitting, and they were really good! The singer looked and sounded a lot like Van Morrison, and they played a lot of his classic tunes...excellent stuff! Some of their entourage were a little...well, let me describe! There was one lady in particular who caught my attention...she had a bleach blonde mullet (very long, but short on top - obviously had had the same style since she was "hot" in the 80's) and had been sown into a revealing glittery tiger print dress. I'm guessing that she hadn't eaten for about a month in order to get into it, as when they brought out some food for the band she was gnawing on the lamb cutlets with savage ferocity! A case of mutton eating lamb....


Happy New Year!
Here's to a great 2008!

Stephen, Jude and Paul

With Pat and Hils

No comments: