Sunday 20 May 2007

A great weekend - but now down to work!!

After finishing work at lunchtime on Friday (I'm going to miss that!) Stephen and I drove down to Farnborough to meet with the International HR Manager to go through allowances, tax and visas. The company does its utmost to ensure that you are taken care of when your are seconded - it's all very generous!

From there we went to our hotel and I had a good soak in the tub before we headed off to meet Amanda and Owen for dinner. They are just back from Washington, so it was good to get the lowdown on places to visit, things to see and on the more practical aspects of moving. Stephen has known Amanda for a long time (he even managed to turn up at the Washington office on her first day there!), but this was our first meeting - although I've heard so much about her!

We were up early the next day, and headed round to Kent to meet up with Janice, Nigel and June (Stephen's mum). Janice and Nigel live in a fab house by a river, so after an afternoon scoffing delicious food and quaffing champagne and wine it was down to the river for a bit of a boating trip...

Two men in a boat... Stephen and Nigel, the intrepid explorers, off to tackle the river rapids....whilst the ladies tackle another bottle of wine!

There was almost a marital when Stephen wanted to play golf in the morning...but crisis was averted when I used my "wife voice" and he realised I was serious about there being a lot to do at home. I suspect that Stephen thinks the magic moving fairies will sort out all the stuff to do with the move!! (and they probably will....now where are my wings and wand???) So after breakfast on the deck watching the ducks and swans paddling about we headed home.

How is it possible for grass to grow so quickly? I got home to grass which was approaching knee high (on me - ankle length on others!!) and I swear it was nowhere near as long when we left on Friday! Within 10 minutes of getting home I was hauling the mower about and pulling out weeds, so its all looking rather lovely now...although I do need to spend some more time out there!! Then it was onto the house - throwing stuff out, deciding what to take, what to leave...think I've got it down now!!



No comments: