Tuesday 16 October 2007

Great Falls, great shopping, great result!

Sister Mary Kerry was doing overtime last Thursday! I think I did about 3 hours of counselling in the morning...I was pretty tired by the end of the day. Talking someone out of quitting is emotionally draining... I was even more tired on Friday as I had been up feeling a bit ick during the night. I think there was a bug sweeping the office as about 3 of us were stricken with it. I got home and had a quick nap on the sofa..for 2 hours! I barely woke up long enough to go for dinner, before falling back into bed!

I was livelier on Saturday! I was getting my hair cut and the grey ones eliminated and, as my appointment was the same time as the rugby, Stephen dropped me off a little early. Just long enough to spend some time in the Nine West outlet shop trying on fabulous shoes!! There was a sale on....need I say more?? I still can't get over how cheap things are here compared to back home!

Stephen had called in the rugby on pay per view, so he had Rudy and Simon (a visiting UK bod) round to watch it with him. Thankfully the neighbours were out as I believe there was a LOT of shouting! England are through to the final, so I guess we'll be doing the same next week....and I had been planning a trip to the horse racing - never mind!

We took a run up to Great Falls National Park on Sunday. We were amazed that you only have to travel a few miles up the Potomac outside of DC and you are into amazing scenery. Great Falls was actually slightly less than "Great" yesterday. There has been a severe water shortage here and the river was way down on its usual level. The falls were therefore more of a trickle than a roar! It was still beautiful, but I can imagine that when the river is full of melt water at the beginning of Spring then it will be awesome.

The area around Great Falls is exceeding posh! There are some totally awesome houses out there. I am not kidding - there was one that looked just like the White House - but the White House on steroids!!

Looking towards the Washington monument, from the GW Parkway


Stephen's next car! I would need a stepladder to get in it!!

Great Falls


Great Falls - looking slightly depleted!


Downstream


The water isn't always as low. The high water marks showing the depth of floodwater since the 1930's. The river is about 90 feet below this at the moment.

No comments: