Saturday 1 December 2007

Oh, my eyes! Who turned on the lights??

Stephen got to spend a couple of days in New York this week - lucky so-and-so! It was all work though - and very little time for play. They did manage to get to the Rockefeller Centre to see the big switch on of the Christmas lights. It was on TV too - I managed to watch for about 2 minutes before I was forced to change the channel! It was the worst TV presenting I think I've ever seen!! The presenters heads were moving when they were reading the autocue, and no-one seemed to manage to look at the right camera at the right time! The lights looked good though!!

As do mine! I ripped down all the Fall decoration and put up my outside Christmas decorations this morning. It looks pretty damn good, even if I say so myself! I have been totally outclassed by the neighbour at the far end of the street though. Their garden really IS visible from space! I have never seen so many decorations in a small space! Their Halloween display was something else as well - they really are the ones setting the standard on our block!

We went to get more Christmas lights from Target this afternoon - and the shelves were stripped bare! I got the last box of clear lighs on the shelves! I managed to get a few decorations for the tree too, but there wasn't much left. We still need to get the tree - Stephen was getting tired, hungry and grumpy so we left it for today. We'll need to go get one tomorrow...

Christmas in Old Town is in full swing. It was the Annual Scottish Parade this morning, which is the event which kicks off the celebrations. I have never seen so many men in kilts in one place in my life!! Everyone I saw (apart from us!) was wearing something tartan. There were pipe bands, people dressed as Mary Queen of Scots and her merrie court, people walking Westies, and lots of Clans...some of whom didn't sound terrifically Scottish! We were thinking about having Clan Spark next year - at least we would be genuinely Scottish rather than having a (great, great) grandparent who was. I think I heard one Scottish accent amongst those parading...Stephen tells me that I was hallucinating as he didn't hear any! It was good fun to watch though! I was getting a bit hysterical at points - I was trying to make out it was emotion, rather than hysterical laughter. Its nice that everyone is so proud of their Scottish heritage.

It was a gorgeous day today. Clear blue skies, bright sunshine...and freezing temperatures! We were wearing umpteen layers when we were out watching the Walk, and we were still pretty cold! My feet were like ice after standing for an hour or so. So much so, that I bought some really unattractive (but cosy - good to minus 10 deg F!) boots...thermal lining, furry, waterproof...all things that I would never consider important in a boot before, but wanted dearly now!!

We tried a new restaurant last night - well new to us anyway! It was an interesting experience....we had a really nice bottle of wine, the soup was delicious, the service was relaxed (which is unusual), but I didn't have a great experience with the entree... I picked a chicken breast stuffed with feta and herbs on a bed of pasta. Sounded good...but...for a start it was HUGE! You could have halved it and it would still have been too big! It was also really rich. And the feta was really ripe (I prefer it with less taste!). After a few mouthfuls I decided that I needed a bit of the chicken without the lashings of feta, so I cut from the other end of the breast. Big mistake as it turned out! It tasted very strange. I was chewing and chewing and managed to swallow a small amount, but there was no way I was swallowing any more. It was tasting stranger by the second. I was pertty certain I was going to projectile vomit if I had to swallow. Looking at the green colour I was turning, Stephen agreed. The couple next to us was looking nervous!! I had to find a paper napkin in which to spit it out. I rather think we wont be back!!

No comments: