Thursday 14 February 2008

Freezing rain

We have now experienced our first freezing rain since we've been in Washington...and it was loads of fun! I was blissfully unaware as I was sitting in the office, that it was even raining let alone freezing rain. It wasn't until Stephen called me to say that he was going to be delayed picking me up, and said that there was freezing rain that I realised that there was anything going on. It took us about an hour to get home. And we were definitely the lucky ones! ALL of the major highways around Washington were closed by multiple major accidents. All of the bridges and intersections were freezing and there was absolutely no grip. We were glad to have a car with all-wheel drive! Some people were stuck for over 8 hours in their cars.

This particular weather type means that our visitors have now experienced (since arriving on Friday): warm and sunny, arctic cold and sunny, wind, rain and freezing rain. The only thing they have missed is snow...and they are forecasting that for tonight!

In the style of Arctic explorers everywhere we decided to walk to the restaurant (I know - pretty insane!!). We were doing good - the pavements were actually okay (they must impregnate the concrete with salt or something) when I spied a puddle, so Stephen's mum walked to one side, and I walked to the other onto the brick paving....which was absolutely slick with ice!!! I always said I was like Bambi on ice, but I can no longer say that as Bambi managed to keep his footing after a lot of sliding about!! I was straight down in true "You've been framed" fashion...flat on my back, no time to flail my arms about to try and regain my balance - just straight down! I am rather stiff and sore today!

Our visitors have been busy since they arrived. They were at Baltimore on Sunday, into DC and Pentagon Mall on Monday (in freezing termperatures - with wind chill it was around -10C, lots of scarves and hats required!), Potomac Mills on Wednesday and the Air and Space Museum at Dulles today.


It just looks cold! The Capitol building.

Pentagon Mall


Lyle all wrapped up


Our visitors are in here - can you spot them?

No comments: