Sunday 24 February 2008

A hard rains (not) gonna fall....

Well, what a disappointment! The horrible snow and ice storm they were promising us didn't really materialise. There was a tiny dusting of snow, and the rain was falling mostly as rain, rather than as freezing rain. There was a great number of phone calls to discuss the weather, the road situation etc. I got my first from Col at 6:15 asking if I had been able to see what the roads were like, then again at about 7:00 saying he was going to brave work, then another at about 7:30 to say the roads were pretty much fine. There had been a 30-car pileup somewhere in Maryland, so they must have had the worst of it...all we had was a hard time getting the car door open because of the ice that had formed from the freezing rain during the night!

Our car totally iced up with freezing rain


Stephen and I have both been to the hairdressers. I have gone for a slightly more extreme version of my usual style. I was going to go the full Posh, until my hairdresser said it would involve undercutting...as much as I love her, I don't think I trust her enough yet to do anything too complicated!! Maybe next time....


My little jaunt took up most of Saturday morning, then it was home to finish the laundry and get the packing done. I never seem to manage the whole capsule wardrobe thing, so it was something of a challenge to pack clothes which could do double duty and which go with more than one item of clothing....Kinda managed it, and got everything into a pretty teeny case. I thought I was doing great until I saw the case Stephen packed! He packed for a week into an overnight case!!! I don't know how the heck he managed it!!!

The flight was pretty uneventful. We both slept pretty much all the way. We had been up fairly late the previous evening as we had been out to dinner with Hils and Paul to a new restaurant called Bookbinders. The food was delicious, the wine was excellent - we had a great time and, as ever with Paul and Hils, a great laugh. The late night helped with the sleep thing. We were both zonked the whole flight! We got back to Leigh Sinton at around 10:30. Mum had bacon butties and tea ready. De-lic-ious!!!

We viewed the house next door this afternoon. It has been rented out for years, and we had always had half a mind to buy it if it came on the market. However, the owner wants a ridiculous amount of money for it given the condition that it's in. It needs to be gutted - new kitchen, bathroom, windows, carpets...lots of cash just to get it into a state to be rented again. More if we were to look at doing some structural alterations. Its maybe just not a good time for us to be taking on a major project...difficult enough to get workmen on a project when you're nearby...I bet its bloomin' impossible from a distance!

We're just back from stuffing ourselves with Indian food. God it was good! We did the works...poppadoms, chutney, onion bhajis, chicken jalfrezi....MmmmmmmMmmmmmmm.

No comments: