Saturday 7 June 2008

To infinity and beyond...

After our long and exhausting week at work, Paul called a Jaleo happy hour for Friday. So we all trooped over the road at 4pm for a well deserved drink...we were having such a good time that happy hour turned into a happy four hours!! We were certainly all very happy when we left!!

Our wild and wacky weather has continued this week. There was a huge storm on Wednesday, during which an oak tree collapsed onto the roof of The Lyceum Museum walkway, totally demolishing it and causing around $1M worth of damage (according to the paper). When we woke this morning it looked fairly overcast, so I headed out in a long sleeved T-shirt and cargo pants. I hadn't realised it was so damned hot! Or humid! There was almost a mist of humidity - you couldn't see the other bank of the Potomac and, even more strangely you could hear planes flying overhead, but couldn't see them at all. It was so hot! We both had a glow about us after 10 minutes!! We had coffee and bagels sitting at the marina then took a wander up to the farmers market where we were drawn by the zesty tang of oranges being freshly squeezed. It was absolutely delicious and I've decided I need to get a juicer over here. It has to be cheaper to buy the oranges and squeeze them, than it is to pay $4 for a cup. And I adore tangy fresh-squeezed juice, whereas I don't adore the sweet stuff you buy in the shops.

I've bought some plants for the window box that sits on our front railings. However, as its over 90 degrees I'm going to have to wait to plant them...for their sake as well as mine!! It is so hot and airless today that it is almost painful to be outside! I only hope that they survive the heat as I'm not around to water them 3 times a day...

We bought them at Lowes (the equivalent of Homebase). We were bagging up the plants at the outside register when the alarm kept going off...It was me! I don't know what I had about my person that upset it, but something did. I actually set the alarm off going into the store!! After I set the alarm off 3 times in 30 seconds just by moving back and forward 4 inches, the lady working the checkout laughingly told Stephen to scram and take Buzz Lightyear with him!!

No comments: