Wednesday 26 November 2008

Homeward Bound

Despite the planning and packing that took place the night before we left, the last minute stuff had us in a total panic in the morning so we decided to go to work and just leave early to get everything sorted out. A much better idea!!

I had arranged to share a car with POQI to the airport as we were all flying back to the UK at the same time - although on different airlines. By the time we had gathered laptops, cases, cameras and suit carriers together and put them in the trunk there wasn't a great deal of space for POQI's luggage. I said a fervent prayer that he was travelling light!! My prayer was not answered!! He came down with 2 large bags...luckily they managed to rearrange everything so that it fitted, but it was tight!!

The driver dropped us outside the Virgin check in and I was carrying 2 laptops, a handbag, a shopping bag and pulling a case to the kerb when I managed to fall over my trousers or my own feet and landed knees first on the edge of the kerb. I could feel myself begin to go and there was no way I could stop myself! I had no hands free to save myself. I couldn't drop anything (laptops are more valuable than my bones!) so I just had to hope it wouldn't be too painful! Thankfully I didn't rip the trousers and I wasn't bleeding. I just had two scraped knees...thank goodness I wasn't planning to wear dresses to either of the two functions we were going to. Scabby knees are SO 30 years ago!

Security took hours (well it felt like hours!) and there was a 6 mile hike to the gate which took ages as I was limping...I was in need of the comfy seat and the G&T when we got to the lounge! The flight was fine. We both managed to get a decent amount of sleep. Well, if you can call it sleep...I kept waking up when one of my limbs would go to sleep due to the contorted position I had got into! They took it in turns to torture me during the flight...

After a brief 4 hour stopover in Malvern (during which I hit the M&S 20% off spectacular for a few busenholsters) Mum dropped us off at Birmingham airport for our flight to Glasgow. We were both quite relieved to see the plane had engines rather than giant rubber bands. We'd only paid GBP 5.99 + tax each for the tickets so weren't sure if we'd have to pedal to get it airborne!! Having taken a lot of flights in the US and gotten used to the slick operation at security here we were both amazed and amused how long it took to go through in the UK. People had to ask about every item... "Do I need to take off my shoes? Do I need to take off my belt?" In the US you're half stripped before you get to the x-ray machine because if you can't get all your kit off in under 30 seconds people are tutting. Stephen and I are now highly proficient quick-change artists should the need for a career change ever arise...

My coffee has ears! Stephen gets to grips with a giant cup.

No comments: