Monday 2 February 2009

Hooray for Hollywood....

Having gotten fed up with freezing body parts off for the past month, when Stephen said he had a work trip to LA and San Diego coming up it ddn't take me long to decide to tag along for the ride! Thank goodness for being able to access e-mail remotely as it means I can work whilst I'm out here. (Aren't I dedicated?!)

So, after another non-stop, where does time go Saturday we packed and headed over to Dulles airport for our flight to LAX. We were both in Premium Economy seats (there was no "theres a crap seat and a crapper seat" this time!), but not together and we both had middle seats. We were just getting cases stowed when the lady next to Stephen offered to swap with me so we could sit together. How nice! Mind you I think she looked at Stephen and realised that he was the biggest fidget on the planet!!! I spent the whole flight crammed into the window with his elbows jammed into my side...which meant I was actually looking out when we passed over the Rockies and the Grand Canyon. Wow! It was awesome!

We had brought out our moaning Sat Nav woman as Stephen is renowned for getting lost in LA (remember driving 100 blocks in the wrong direction?!). I can see why she moans though...we spent about 5 minutes driving up and down a quarter mile stretch of road, making U turns as he kept missing the turning.

The hotel is just off Hollywood Blvd. Its right next to the Kodak theatre where they hold the Oscars, and a couple of minutes walk from Mann's Chinese theatre were all the stars have left foot prints and hand prints. I have to say that the stars of yesteryear must have had absolutely tiny feet!! Even given that they would be wearing heels and I was in flats, my feet were miles bigger! I am definitely well anchored to the world! Gloria Swanson, Mary Pickford and Marilyn Monroe all had teeny weeny footprints. I felt slightly better when I got to the Harry Potter footprints - Hermione has normal sized feet! Sean Connery was the only star to do it barefoot (obviously a good Scotsman and too tight to buy a new pair of shoes!), and Samuel L Jackson has truly enormous feet! You know what they say...big feet, big....shoes!

We wandered up and down Hollywood Blvd for a while taking in all the kinds of weird on display (and there was plenty to take in I can tell you!). I think the thing which freaked me out (I was probably a little bit tired and easily freaked) was the shop with a display of knives in the window and a sign which said "We sell saliva". Eurgh!! I don't even want to think about why....

No comments: