Sunday 29 March 2009

The Brits are leaving - its time to Par-tay

Thursday night was the leaving do for the Brits leaving the office, namely Paul, Stephen and me. We were a teeny bit frazzled come 6pm as we'd spent the day reducing our air freight by half and unpacking stuff that Walter had packed!
Tim had volunteered his apartments roof deck and party room as the venue as it had stunning views of DC. Its only a pity that, after months of dry weather, it began to rain on Thursday and for the first part of the evening we didn't get a view of much, but I have to admit that the view was stunning when the clouds lifted.
Stephen was almost christened Mr Wrong-Kind-of-Beer in Mr Wrong-Kind-of-Beers absence as he had the temerity to complain that the beer was warm! I guess someone has to keep up the tradition of moaning about something!!
Almost everyone from the office was there and Lynn came back too. It was truly fantastic to see everyone there. I was getting a little teary towards the end. I guess realisation is kicking in...
As the person who normally organised buying and circulating the leaving cards I had to smile when Dawn pulled me aside and told me to turn a blind eye whilst they signed my card as it had kind of fallen off the to-do list that day! What will they do without me??
I had asked for a Welcome Pineapple which apparently caused some head scratching amongst some. Thankfully Dawn knew what I was after and knew not to look in the produce section of Safeway! It was a tradition amongst sea captains in Virginia to place a pineapple outside their home when they returned from journeys to the tropics to signify that they were home and visitors were welcome. Look out for my pineapple when I return to the UK! We got some beautiful gifts including a lovely DC throw. I was embarrased to get so much, but we both truly appreciated the gifts and the words that went with them.
Paul gave us a lift back down the road and we rounded out the night having a drink in Rustico along with Dawn and Jeff. I was thrown when my drink came. I had asked for a water and a PG and the waitress brought a half pint glass which I assumed was the water until I took a slurp and found out it was the wine!! The next morning was a little weeny bit of a struggle...
Me with Dawn and Jeff



James, Lily, Joni and Preston


Yes, I AM that short!! Me with Rick and Simon.



On the deck overlooking DC



Paul finding a creative use for the lettuce! Tim manfully ignoring the distraction whilst pouring the champagne.



The lovely Joni and me



With part of our lovely leaving gifts



Paul aka POQI aka Stewie - opening his Family Guy DVD



Paul looking mischevious!



The gang!


No comments: