Monday 24 August 2009

I'm a Goddess of domesticity

Life is SO unfair! How come I can have grey hair, crows feet AND spots? I had the most enormous spot on my neck last week...It was so big it must have been visible from space! I don't know what surfeit of hormones has brought this plague of boils on, but it seems to have subsided now - thank goodness!!

Perhaps the hormones would explain why I've also been a crabbit wee besom for the past few days! Something has done it! I didn't have any patience for Stephen's helpless routine!! "Is the dishwasher clean or dirty?" he asks. "Open the door and look inside. Its a good indication!" I snap. Why, oh why, am I expected to know the location and state of everything in the house?? Stephen's version of looking for something is to move one item and declare he can't find it and ask me.... argh!! I'm normally Mrs Patience, but...! Poor thing is probably traumatised!!

We went to the homeware branch of TK Maxx the other day. It has newly opened in Worcester and is fabulous! I walked in and was greeted by Halloween goodies (not something you see here much) and I was transported straight back to Old Town. How wonderful it was! And the best thing is there is a Electronics store "Man Creche" right next door, so we can get on with the business of bargain hunting in peace!

Its not always a good idea to let Stephen off the leash when shopping though. He went off to the meat counter in the grocery store to get a couple of steaks for the barbie. I couldn't believe the size of them when we opened the package up! Never mind "Petite Fillet" these were "Extra-Grande Fillet"!! This was practically the entire fillet from a super-sized cow! We ended up cutting each fillet in half and freezing the spares, and even then there was a lot of steak on the plate!! It was delicious, but there really is a limit to how much red meat I can face at one sitting!!!

In a moment of domesticity I made an apple and blueberry crumble yesterday. Just call me Nigella - for I AM a domestic goddess! Of course, it didn't quite go according to plan! So perhaps I'm more Bridget Jones than Nigella (blue soup anyone?). It would seem that my rarely used baking accoutrement is still packed in boxes in the loft as I ended up making the crumble topping in my salad bowl as I couldn't find a mixing bowl . It did double duty as I then couldn't find a deep enough dish to take the filling and the topping in order to bake it...so I ended up with a very flat and wide crumble!! It does taste great even if it looks a little odd.

The other domestic-goddessy thing that I did at the weekend was to order a sewing machine. Okay - those of you who remember my sewing classes at school can stop sniggering now! I was horrified last time I got a quote for curtains for our sitting room (we have 3 large-ish windows and it was nearly a thousand quid), so I thought...how hard can it be to sew large rectangles of fabric and sew on header tapes? Exactly - even an idiot like me can do that.... God, I hope I can do that...! My problem at school was that I found it difficult to sew a straight line - something to do with being hard on the accelerator! The fabric would whoosh through at 70mph and I would lose control...my seams were more like the B4178 than the M1 and I was forever ripping them out. I had been explaining the similarity my seams have to a twisting mountain pass to one of the ladies in work and had also been commenting on how amazing the machine embroidery that Julie does is, but I'd never be able to do something like that. She looked at me, laughed heartily and said "I don't know...by the sound of things you'd be excellent at it". If worst comes to worst I can try and pass my curtains, with their unintentionally crooked seams, off as works of art...

Do you ever look at art work and think "I could do that"? Stephen and I went to the Worcester Art Festival yesterday and we passed a stall where not only could I do that - I think I HAD done that!! It was a red canvas with some texture and some gold leaf - not a million miles away from the canvases I did last year in Old Town. In fact, not a million miles, barely even a couple of miles away from one of mine in style!! AND it had an 80 quid price tag... which makes me think the 50p that Guy got for mine at a car boot was probably a little cheap!! I hope the purchaser enjoys them! I had no space to hang them here and in the ruthless sorting out phase when we got back they all went to car boot.

Aside from this artist (of course!!) there was a distinct lack of worthwhile stalls. There was only one photography stall and some of the artists were rather...well not to my taste anyway! Remember the artist that used to do a show that's sometimes on TV late at night? He had a big afro and used a 4 inch decorators brush to make trees and the like...Bob someone... Well there was an artist there who did paintings in the style of Bob, and ran a course in how to paint like Bob. Judging by Bob's hairdo these shows were made in the 70's or early 80's and the style and subject matter of the painting reflects that. Who would buy it today? Not many of the folks there yesterday that's for sure!! Perhaps we've been spoiled by the fantastic arts festivals in and around Old Town which are superb but, if Old Town was the Premiership then this was the Vauxhall Conference League...

No comments: