Monday 15 March 2010

C'mon...bake a cake

I was stopped short the other day as I was zooming about the house cleaning. The TV was on and I was stopped in my tracks by someone singing "If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake". I hadn't heard that song for about 33 years, and it make me laugh at the memory it stirred....

It was during the summer holidays when I was about 7 years old and I was staying with my Gran and Grandad. Grandad was out for the day - perhaps in Edinburgh visiting his relatives. Gran and I were doing whatever we did - creating board games, baking, dancing the Gay Gordons - when there was a knock at the door. It must have been about the time that we were expecting Grandad home as Gran immediately burst into song and danced her way across the hallway singing (with gusto and volume) "If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake. If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake, Howdya do, Howdya do, Howdya do". She flung open the front door and....instead of Grandad standing there it was the "Man from the Pru" come to collect their premium!!!!!!! I'm not sure who was most surprised! That last "Howdya do" certainly faded from her lips pretty fast!

Mind you, we've all been there haven't we? I remember having to go into work at the advertising agency one Sunday in the early 90's. I wasn't expecting anyone else in, so I locked the front door, switched on my Mac and turned the radio on loud. I was waiting on something finishing sending to the big linotype printer when Vogue came on the radio. Who can resist Vogue? I was there, waving my arms around in a Madonna-ish way when one of the account execs popped his head round the door.... What do you do? Pretend to be stretching? Doing yoga? Or do you do what we did and explode with laughter. I was totally caught!

No comments: