Sunday 21 March 2010

Ring a ring a Roses

I ventured out into the garden this morning for a quick burst of pruning. It was pretty much the first time I'd done anything in the garden since we got back last April! It is definitely time to rediscover my gardening genes, if not my gardening jeans!

I pruned the roses, and not in a delicate way. Mum's not a pruner, preferring to let nature do its thing, so the roses were about 8ft tall in some cases. The stems were pretty thick, so I had to use loppers to hack them back! We'll see how they react to my hard treatment. Some were pretty woody, so may need to be replaced anyway. They were also pretty goddamn thorny! There was a rich chorus of "Oww", "F&%$# hell" and "S&%$ that HURT" when I was working my way round. I was wearing thick gloves so my hands were okay - it was the rest of me that was being viciously assaulted!

Its looking better, but I really need to spend a whole day out there getting it into shape. I need to get my gardening muscles into shape first though!

No comments: