Wednesday 5 September 2007

All the nice girls love a sailor

Wowee! If ever you want to feast your eyes on hundreds of American sailors in their whites (think Richard Gere here!) then go to Annapolis! It is the home of the US Naval Academy and an utterly gorgeous place - really pretty (even of you take the eye candy out of the equation!).

Lots of people had said "Go to Annapolis, it's lovely" and hey, they were right! We spent a really great afternoon wandering around. There was a craft market on the first street we hit, and I got the most fantastic glass plate with copper fused into the glass - really really pretty. There were people demonstrating swing dancing, people jamming playing jazz...something going on everywhere you looked. We then followed the trail of uniforms back down towards the harbour and had a meander around gazing in awe at the selection of boats, from little weeny dinghies to yachts that Roman Abromavich would be proud of!!

We even (despite the crowds) managed to find a spot for lunch. I was longing to have a giant tub of the most delicious looking ice cream that I had seen in, oh a day or two....I was practically drooling at the huge array of ice cream flavours (we were sitting near the counter so I had a great view), but I was sensible and had a panini instead. Ho hum, how dreary!

Pretty....
Just a great view!

The main street, looking towards the senate house


Do we want this one?

Or is this one more suitable?

All the nice girls love a sailor...including these three!
We headed back home late afternoon as we had arranged to go out with Hils for a drink and food. Her hubby is back in the UK this week and as a frequent QinetiQ widow myself I know it can be dull without company - especially on a Holiday weekend. We had a great laugh, and didn't get to bed til very late! Talk about burning the candle at both ends... we were back up at 7:30 the next day ready to hit the road again!
Monday wasn't quite so exciting in terms of visiting places of interest. We spent the entire day driving from one Best Buy to another trying to find a laptop as it was the Labor Day sale. We visited 6, plus a Circuit City, and in each one had to have a long conversation with rent-a-geek about the merits of having 2 Gigs of RAM over 1 Gig, the type of processor....it went on..... when we had done the polite small talk we would then discover that the laptop they had been trying to flog us (which we knew we wanted anyway) wasn't in stock...nor was our second choice...nor the 3rd choice! Then we discovered that the final store didn't have any of our choices but the 3rd store we had been to had loads of the 3rd choice laptop ... but we hadn't asked about it at that store! I lost the will to live at this point and we decided that we would save the replay for next weekend. As long as one of the stores within a 40 mile radius has one of our choices I'll be happy!!
We did manage to find time to call in at a guitar shop and a craft shop (keeps us both happy!). Stephen spent a while playing a PRS and pondering whether or not he can afford NOT to buy one! I went into Michaels and discovered a treasure trove of crafting materials! Everything you could imagine, plus more!

I was a big brave girl today! I drove home...all by myself! I have to admit I had been a big baby when it came to driving over here. I wasn't comfortable with driving on the "wrong" side of the road, and the US drivers all seem pretty oblivious to what is going on around them. They almost never indicate and when they are indicating, it's because its been like that since the car left the showroom...Anyhow, after a few weeks of being driven around I was able to take the plunge (otherwise I would have to walk to work as Stephen is flying back to the UK today!). We did a circuit of the block on Sunday, then a round trip to work. Stephen wasn't gripping the seat in terror so I guess it was all okay...although he did say he had his eyes shut the entire journey! So after only less than an hour of supervised, hand holding I was left to fly solo! It's not so bad. I just need to remember not to try and depress the clutch....

No comments: