Friday 28 September 2007

Thank Crunchie its Friday - I need a rest!!

Well you've probably been wondering what else I've been up to this week, aside from going to NY...we've had a pretty busy week in work with a gaggle of high powered visitors arriving from the UK. Tuesday and Wednesday were pretty manic with running around after them and making sure that they got to where they had to be, when they had to be there!! I honestly think that PA's/EA's should be issued with a foot spa which can sit under the desk. Andy B: if you read this can you see if we can make it standard issue which can be issued along with our IT equipment?? After a weekend of walking around NY the last thing I wanted to do was put my poor, protesting feet into skyscraper heels and run around the office for 2 days!! (My feet were so sore when I was in NY that the thought of shoe shopping almost brought on a fit of the vapours!!)

The visit went well. I was able to roll with the punches when it came to on the hoof changes, and my cat herding skills are once again honed. I got a really nice note from our COO saying thank you, so he can come back anytime!!

My "fixer" skills also came into play on Thursday. Paul W was back in the UK and had a dinner meeting in Malvern, so I'd booked him a car and driver to take him to Malvern, wait and then return him to Farnborough. I got an e-mail from Paul saying "contact Karen. driver ill, running late". After displaying my slightly callous side - "How ill. Puking or Heart Attack?" - and deciding that I didn't need to phone for an ambulance as it was food poisoning, I called Karen. Then there was another message asking me to find a replacement taxi to take him home...which is where the fun began! I only had to call about 6 companies, and Mandy to get some numbers (thanks babes, you were a star!) before I managed to find a company that were able to take Paul home again. Not bad from a few thousand miles away...

The last two days have been spent trying to catch up with the work I didn't get done due to the visit! Along with a few counselling sessions...I have become Auntie Kerry in work. And being pink and fluffy takes time....I was nearly at the "just get over it, I have work to do" stage today! Hopefully Grumpy Friday will be over and done, and we'll be on Happy Monday next week.

Jacqui is leaving the Inc and going back to the UK at the end of next week, so the girlie posse took her out for lunch and gave her her gifts...just a few fun things to remember us by! We went to the nice Italian restaurant over the road and got the full Italian Waiter treatment...I've never had my hand kissed so much in the course of a lunch!! Maybe wouldn't have minded so much if it had been a cute Italian waiter, but ours was of the middle aged and slightly lecherous variety!!! Sadly, Alyssa missed the lunch as she was off at a customer meeting and didn't make it back in time. Darn customers huh! Tim and Dawn have arranged for us to go on a Ghost Tour of Old Town as her official send off. It's on Thursday so it has become a birthday celebration for me too!

Jacqui and I were fit to burst this afternoon....Rudy had brought in muffins, we had been for lunch, had had Whoppers (like maltesers) and Gummy Worms from her gift package, and then Dawn came round to say that there was going to be cake to celebrate all of the September birthdays. We shared a slice in the hope of avoiding a "wafer thin mint" moment!!

Stephen and Paul B went off to watch the rugby, so by about 3:30 I had the BD end of the office to myself...got a few things crossed off the to-do list, but not as much as I'd hoped...oh, well. I've brought the laptop home so I can at least do Stephen's travel claim this weekend. QQ is going to owe us millions if I don't get on top of it soon!

We got our new laptop yesterday. Yippee!! It's sitting on my lap at the moment....super cool and very zippy. It runs hot though!! My thighs are reaching melting temperature - see what pain I go through just to keep in touch with you guys!

The other (kind of) amusing thing this week was when we came back home on Monday night and found the front door open!!! There had been a thunderstorm a few weeks ago, and it must have spiked some of the electronic dimmer switches we have. We contacted the landlady, who said she was going to get her brother to fix it as he has a property management company and deals with this very kind of thing...weeks went by...e-mails were sent back and forth. I was being nice, but at the end (after about 5 weeks of waiting and mailing) I was rather more forceful. Anyway he called me when I was at the airport about to get on the flight to NY and we agreed that he should contact Margaret next door as she had a key. (He was willing to go that day and I didn't want to say no as we had been sitting in gloom in the den and dining room for far too long!). Anyway, he fixed the lights, but failed to lock the front door when he left, and Margaret only checked the kitchen door was locked... So it was big brave Kerry who had to check the house for intruders and see if the TV was missing, whilst Stephen reassured Margaret (who had popped out to say hello) that it was all okay...Remarkably everything WAS fine! Nothing was missing and no bogey men were hiding in the closets. I did privately call him every kind of twit though...

Oh, and one other funny thing...we have dress down Friday in the office, but Tanner and I were wondering this morning if we had missed the memo that said it was "Wear your jimjams to work day"!! One of the BD managers turned up wearing a singlet and trackkie bottoms. It seems he got stuck in NY last night and didn't have any clean clothes with him...however he lives about a mile from the office, so he could (and should!) really have gone home to change. Seeing white and flabby arms in a singlet was enough to turn stomachs!!

No comments: