Saturday 8 September 2007

Girls just wanna have fun!

I have survived a whole week of driving to and from work....no crashes, no dings, no scrapes of the alloys. The chauffeur arrives back from the UK tomorrow afternoon for which I am glad! I think I still need practise to be totally comfortable driving here... simple things like changing lanes can be challenging! Americans are really bad at not using their indicators, or noticing when anyone else is! They just dive across lanes into the tiniest of gaps and expect that you'll let them in! Yesterday I had to resort to smiling and waving at the car in the next lane when I was in the queue at traffic lights in the hope that they would let me in! Today I had to endure some idiot tooting at me for actually giving way at a yield sign when there was traffic coming! I think that he maybe thought I should pull out into fast moving traffic when there was actually a car bearing down on me from 20 feet away doing 40!!

It was a busy work week. Its the end of the AP and the Business Development report had to be produced. Its something I did in Malvern, so producing the figures wasn't an issue...but taking the written input from the BD guys and trying to mould it into a report was a major task!! Thankfully Tanner was really great - left me to it when I was coping and ridin' to the rescue when I needed help (I provided the candy to get us both through!). What with booking travel and the five thousand other things that were going on I barely had time to have a wee! I was getting into work for 7am and leaving about 5:30, bringing work home and then working til bedtime...I am so glad that its the weekend. I need a rest!! And a lie-in!!

It has been a good week in terms of getting to know people! People are generally so busy, running about and out of the office that I've not really had a good getting to know session with many people. But Tanner and I had a great laugh when we were doing the report, chirpy Colin is back from his vacation in Tuscany and distributing hugs (to me anyway!), and Dawn has popped down from the other end of the office for a chat a couple of times. So barriers are coming down and I'm settling in fine.

My slight OCD was coming to the fore the other day...when we went to hunt for the laptop on Monday we stopped in at a Bennigans for lunch as Stephen was starving. I would actually have bounced, but the waiter was over in seconds and Stephen was busy ordering before I could express my desire to run for the hills!!! It needed a good clean and a lick of paint...and I my skin crawled when the couple at a booth near ours politely asked the waiter to remove a used band-aid that someone had stuck to the wall. My stomach turned over....

Thankfully Chadwicks was a lot more palatable! Hils and I went down for dinner last night (both of our hubbys were back in the UK so we felt we simply HAD to go out for a girls night!). We had an outside table to enjoy the nice breeze (but other than the breeze I don't know why we bothered - there is only a view of an abandoned warehouse and a car park!). The waiter was slightly over attentive...surely he could see that we were talking and hadn't looked at the menu at all...we were compelled to order off-the-cuff the 3rd time he came back after trips with drinks/water (sorry - I mean wadder) and kept enquiring whether we had decided yet. Then we had about 20 check backs to make sure we didn't need anything. Honestly, he was totally interrupting the flow of chatter! Hils is really great company and we laughed so much - perhaps the waiter was wanting to join in the fun! We've decided to make it a weekly get together...we'll consider letting the boys come along too (occasionally!).

No comments: