Saturday 5 July 2008

Happy 4th of July


It's 4th of July, and we have been in the USA for over 1 year now! It's hard to believe that the first year has gone by so very quickly. We arrived here on 1st July last year and it could really have been just a few months.

We've actually had a fairly quiet day. We are both shattered today - we're scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of energy levels. I blame the frantic pace of this week and last weekend!! We had a lie in his morning (Stephen slightly more than me) and then another snooze about lunchtime. Except that Stephen didn't really wake up properly! We had been invited to Alyssa and Greg's 4th of July cookout (its an American tradition) and the plan was to get over there around 3pm and leave about 5pm to get back to the Potomac to get a good view of the DC fireworks. As it was he didn't wake up until about 3:45, so we didn't get out there until about 4:45 and didn't leave until about 6:45. We drove past Daingerfield Island on the Parkway and they were still letting people park, tried to get into Gravelly Point but it was full, turned around and headed back to Daingerfeild - only to find it was now full too!! Consequently we are now watching the 4th July fireworks on TV from the comfort of our sofa. Ah well, it was just not meant to be!

It was lovely to see Alyssa and Tanner again. The idea was that everyone takes a dish (its called Pot Luck), and as Tanner said she was taking corn bread as it was very American I realised that I should probably take something Scottish. And as Stephen is particularly fond of tablet what better thing to make? I got my mum to e-mail the tried and tested never-fail tablet recipe that came from Stephen's mum. Never fail until now, that is! I made a batch last night and it was like a cross between fudge and toffee...and it wasn't even particularly sweet! I looked at the tin of Carnation....it was evaporated milk, not condensed milk. D'oh!! I knew as soon as I poured it into the tin that something was badly wrong!! I made another batch this morning and it was perfect! Otherwise I would have had to rustle up another Scottish favourite...like mince and tatties or deep fried mars bars!!

No comments: