Friday 18 July 2008

...its oh so still...shhh, shhh

There was a little burst of activity this morning, and now we're back to the normal for this week. There is still tumbleweed blowing down the corridors...

The good news is that its not just our office which was quiet. So was Starbucks! I went down this morning about 8am and there was nobody in there!! My drink was ready before I had finished paying for it. The NEVER happens!!

I had to laugh at an e-mail I was copied on this morning. Tommo's manager sent him a note in response to his "I've got food poisoning" e-mail which said "Please ensure this is recorded properly on your timesheet". So warm, so caring, so fluffy.... Is the man a robot? Or a moron? What happened to the part where he expresses sympathy for the poor bloke who's been dreadfully ill in a foreign country on his own... Some people should never be allowed to manage staff.

I had to ask advice of Hils yesterday. Stephen and I are going to a drinks reception at the Ambassador's residence next week and the dress code was Business Attire. Simple for guys...not so simple for us girls when you factor in the extreme heat and humidity of DC in the summer! All the suits I have are more suitable for British winters and I'm worried about:

a) passing out in the heat
b) turning into a puddle of sweat, having may make-up drip from my chin and my hair go curly

Actually my hair going curly is pretty much a sure fire thing, but I want to minimise the rest! Hils went last year, so was able to advise on how the dress code was interpreted. I think I may be going shopping at the weekend... oh, any excuse for retail therapy!!

No comments: