Wednesday 16 July 2008

Sons of the (California) Desert

Stan and Ollie are on the road again. Chaos and mayhem ensues!! It began on Monday morning before they had even met up...in fact before they were even on the same coast!

Stephen phoned me from Dulles airport and asked me to check his desk to see if he had left his keys there. He hadn't, so I called him back and asked him to check his laptop bag and his jacket carefully. They were not there either, so I phoned the taxi company, who phoned the driver (thankfully I had the cab number!), who HAD the keys and agreed to drop them off to me in return for a "token of my gratitude" which I translated to be about $20!

Whilst I was stressing about getting his keys back, Stephen was busy winding Simon up. The rental car company had given Simon a convertible and there was much e-mailing back and forth about the suitability of the car. It began when Simon suggested that Stephen needed to bring sun protection for his thinning scalp, then Stephen began on the "Where will my golf clubs go?" theme, which ran for a while. When he got on the flight I was compelled to e-mail Simon (before he traded in the car!) to let him know that Stephen was joking about bringing his clubs. Which is when Simon told me that he had lost his wedding ring the night before!! He had got into the car and realised it was missing, so feeling sick as a dog, he pulled over and searched the car. He ran back to Hertz and searched the parking lot, then the rental office...still no ring. Finally he searched his laptop bag where his paperwork was, and there it was! It must have slipped off when he got his drivers license out. He was exceedingly relieved!!

If this was how their trip was beginning I was starting to think they should push the abort button for this mission before anything else happened!!

No comments: