Saturday 6 February 2010

Picky, Planning & Pure Amazement

Kate and I went out for dinner and a movie this week. We decided that Up in the Air with the gorgeous George Clooney was an acceptable girlie choice as both our other halves had declared that they'd be unwilling to see it. Something about chick flick and lack of body count. Its a good movie, but not a chick flick and definitely not your usual Hollywood ending!!

We had dinner in ASK - our local pizza/pasta restaurant. Service was attentive - the guy who sold us our Audi was there and scarily remembers my name whenever I go in - and we enjoyed some bubbles and a good gossip over dinner. I ordered a Limoncello as a digestivo. I looked at the shot glass on the tray...the 'cello wasn't chilled and there was no ice in it. Hmmmm... warm limoncello is not the same. So I asked nicely for a couple of ice cubes I could pop in and that sparked a whole debate with the waitress who insisted on taking it away and putting in a different glass as she "wouldn't have served it like that, but the barman...". It was at this point that I looked at Kate who fixed me with a look, and a smile, and said "You can tell you've spent 2 years in America. Anyone else would just have drunk that and here's you telling them exactly how you want it served down to the number of ice cubes!".

On Wednesday Julie and I went off to the Town Council planning committee meeting. There have been 3 planning applications on the land between our little village and the outskirts of Malvern and the village has been fighting them in order to stop us coalescing and becoming another suburb of Malvern. We are all now pretty knowledgeable on the subject of local development plans and regulations! So after a very dry couple of hours of listening to arguments for and against a couple of applications, we were very happy that the second of the three applications was rejected. Two down, one to go...

On Thursday evening we had arranged to get British Gas round to quote us for replacing our aging boiler. Its making hideous banging noises and we figure that its not long for this world. And as the government is offering a 400 GBP rebate in their scrappage scheme, it seems a good time to get it changed. The chap measured and questioned and punched figures into his laptop. The laptop whirred and a figure popped up onto the screen. I could see it, but Stephen couldn't. I was expecting the guy to punch a few more buttons and take off some discounts....but no! It was then just a case of sitting back and watch Stephen's face when the astronomical figure was mentioned! It was quite funny to watch. After arguing about the astronomical installation cost (by far the largest portion of the quote) he then struggled to keep a straight face as the chap left us details of how to get in touch to place the order and made his exit. I had been joking with my boss that, depending on the cost I might need a bottle of wine rather than a glass. When I got the quote I pinged him to say forget the bottle of wine, I need a bottle of gin!!! We've now got a local company coming on Tuesday, so we'll see what they say!

No comments: