Thursday 1 May 2008

Corky comes to Old Town

It has been a week of ups and downs in work this week....
The Down? Our IT was just not working when we got in on Monday. This seems to be a recurring theme when I come back from holiday! Not that I'm getting in anyway paranoid about it....!! They didn't manage to get the workaround working until this afternoon, so we've had 3 days of working from blackberries and then coming home to do work because we could connect from here. I now have advanced "Blackberry Thumb" and will be having to get my worn out joints replaced soon!
The Up? Corky was in town!! Yaaaay!!!!!! We dropped in to the Embassy Suites to pick him up and take advantage of their managers hospitality - got to love the free bar! Then we came back to the house for the grand tour before heading down towards King St and Chadwicks. Phil had worked at the Inc for 18 months or so, so was no stranger to the haunts of Old Town, and Chadwicks was a favourite! (In fact I think it was me who recommended he go there when he first moved over - I had heard about how fabulous it was from Stephen!). It was a lovely Spring night - warm but not humid - so we sat outside with our drinks whilst we picked his brain about some of the must see's and where to buys and reminded him about how fabulous it was out here! We did Thai for dins, and Phil was impressing the heck out of the wait staff with his ability to speak some Thai. It must have been a letdown for them when Stephen and I did our usual "Can I please have a chicken panang...". The bar had been raised, the standard set, the expectation was there and we just couldn't deliver!! Stephen broke from his tradition of drinking "weak and watery girlieman lager" and had a couple of Thai beers. It was like watching his hangover being delivered in a glass! We rounded off the night with a nightcap (pint of wine!) in O'Connells, our favourite Irish bar. We ended up at a really huge table! We were practically having to use semaphore across the table - which at least saved anyone hearing me shlur my words - hic....
I was not loving getting up this morning!!! My eyelids were firmly glued together and 6:15 had come around much too fast for my liking!! Stephen was disgustingly perky given his break from drinking lite beer! Not fair!!!!
Phil initiated me into the delights of Charlie Chan's at lunchtime. It's just across the road from the office, and yet I've never been. I don't know why. It was pretty delicious!! We had a hoot!!
Revisiting the old haunts. Outside Chadwicks

Sitting at a HUGE table in O'Connells our fave Irish bar


...And just to prove that Stephen was there!!
We finally get him on the other side of the camera!

No comments: