Thursday 8 October 2009

Happy birthday to me. The big 40 dawns...

After frantic, rather disorganised packing, we drove to Gatwick on Saturday evening. We dumped the bags and the car and had a surprisingly nice buffet dinner, then a couple of drinks before hitting the hay.

We were up at 6am (yuk!) on Sunday and got checked in before heading to the V-lounge (as the Upper Class lounge was closed). We had a spot of breakfast and a glass of champagne whilst I opened my cards (thanks everyone!). Of course, it goes without saying that Stephen was too disorganised to actually buy me one, and his frantic searches at Gatwick airport came to nothing. It also goes without saying that his lapse will cost him dear when it comes to the present.....! I was well looked after when he was off searching (for that read "topped up by the bar staff")

The flight was fine. Apart from the minor problem of them running out of (edible) food when they got to Stephen... I had chosen a macaroni mornay and he was left with seafood linguine...he had a mild "I'm a gold card holder doncha know" tantrum which resulted in him getting one of the staff meals...which looked a whole lot tastier than the flaccid pasta and spinach thing that i had!!

The poor stewardess was having a mare...aside from Sparky and the no-food thing, she managed to knock a glass of red wine all over the guy in front of us, then about half an hour later knocked a glass of white wine over his wife. Oopsie!!

The House is just as fabulous as I remember it. There is even one member of staff from last time we were here, and it was he who greeted us as we arrived. We got unpacked and freshened up and headed next door for my birthday dinner at Daphnes restaurant. It was delicious food, although we were both a bit too knackered to fully enjoy it! I think we'd gone past the being hungry stage! I got a really lovely "Happy Birthday" piped in chocolate onto a plate of chocolates and strawberries after dessert. And it really was a happy birthday!

No comments: