Saturday 21 November 2009

My name is....

Oh what a nothingy day this has turned out to be! We were at a bit of a loss as to what to do today so we took a run into Worcester with the intention of mooching around and having a coffee. Of course we'd forgotten that Christmas shopping is in full swing and after failing to get a parking spot in 3 car parks we gave up and went to Malvern instead.

We took shelter from the pouring rain in the coffee shop and I grabbed a table whilst Stephen stood in line for the coffee. The table next to me son filled with a couple and their brood of children. Daddy went off to buy coffee whilst Mummy failed to keep the kids under control. One child (about age 7) in particular was being delightful..fighting with his sibling whilst lying on the banquette, kicking out and gradually inching his way towards me. Not fancying having his flailing feet make contact with me (or my handbag!) I shot his mother a look which was meant to convey "I have patience, but he's getting a little close now" but which (thanks to my rather crapulous day) may have come across more like "If he kicks me I will rip his arms off and beat you with them"...anyway, she began to attempt to get them to stop. There was no visible effect, so Daddy lends his voice from the queue...
"Max...."
"Maxim...."
"Maximus.....stop that now".

Ahh....now I understand! You quite simply cannot call your child Maximus and NOT expect them to misbehave!!! Did they name him after watching Gladiator? Did she have a thing for the buff and oiled up Russell Crowe? Did he??!!

I have to say that I am not a fan of people inflicting names such as Apple, Kai, Beauregard, Satchell and Muffin on their little bundles of joy. A name is for life, not just for the birthday cake!!

No comments: