Sunday 15 November 2009

Picture perfect Priory

I had yet another facial yesterday as those pesky zits are still hanging on in there. Time to electrocute them again...and this time we turned the machine up to 11! Zena thinks they're on the way out - about time too I say! I've spent a fortune on spot cream in the past few weeks! Aside from the one which burned my skin off, I've bought creams with salicylic acid, creams with a percentage of tea tree oil and finally I just bought the full-strength undiluted tea tree oil. I've also got about 4 kinds of exfoliators - masks, scrubs, pads....there is not a preparation available in Boots that I've not tried!!!

Afterwards I picked up a couple of coffees and met up with Stephen (I did think about only buying one for me, but I figured that would be a little bit mean!) and we headed back into Worcester for the second time that day. Stephen has decided that I need a better camera as my Canon didn't compare with his Nikon when we looked at the end results which meant that he would disregard my photos as barely worth looking at, despite a grudging admission that sometimes I would get the better shot. (And believe me, it was a grudging admission!!) Our second trip in was to get the camera he's spent weeks reading up on so I have time to play with it fully before we head to NYC at Christmas. It was also to stop him spending a tenner a week on "What Camera Shall I Buy" magazines....honestly, he'd be able to afford a whole photographic studio if he didn't buy all the magazines for 6 months!!

We popped along to Malvern Priory this afternoon for a little photography shoot. It was a dodging the showers afternoon. Every time we ventured outside it rained. Every time we were inside it was fair. On the way back home in the car there was blue sky and little puffy clouds...d'oh! The Priory is a lovely building. Building began in 1085 and there were some 15th century additions to the original Norman church. There is also some gorgeous stained glass. One window was a gift from Henry VII, another from Richard III and there is some really remarkable modern stained glass which was installed in 2004. We weren't the only ones in taking photos...there was a veritable paparazzi pack in there! All you could hear was the click of shutters!!

I smiled at one of the notices on the tiny rear exit of the Priory which said that CS Lewis (who had gone to school in Malvern) may have been inspired to write the Chronicles of Narnia after emerging from the wardrobe-like exit and seeing the gas lamps amongst the trees in the churchyard. However, having just looked up Wiki it seems that he became atheist whilst at Malvern College, so perhaps they're a little wide of the mark! I was smiling because half of Malvern has previously claimed the honour of being the inspiration! Further Wiki investigation tells of CS Lewis and JRR Tolkein coming out of a pub in the winter , seeing a gas lamp shining through the falling snowflakes and Tolkein saying "that would make a great opening for a book"....Soooo, on two counts it would seem that the Priory may be a little wide of the mark as I didn't see a bar in there...unless they were hitting the communion wine!!!


Can you tell whose is whose??


The beautiful Priory (taken by S)


The Priory graveyard (taken by me with some photoshop jiggery-pokery by S)

Another of mine!

No comments: