Monday 20 August 2007

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to work I go....

Today was the big day! My first day at work in the US! It went as well as it could really....Paul (the boss) was in a meeting all day, so aside from 2 minutes (literally 2 minutes) at the beginning of the day and 2 minutes at the end I've not had a chance to sit down with him and sort out how he wants things run. I'll be doing that tomorrow....

It is a bit of a shock for me to be in work for about 7:30! As you are all aware I'm not a great morning person...grown men have been known to run away crying after an early morning (i.e. pre 9:30am) exchange on those days when I've not got out of the sunny side of the bed! I'll need to take happy pills or something as the very early starter (my friend Colin) is exceedingly chipper at 7:30. He gets up at 4am to beat the traffic for the 40 mile drive to work, and gets to the office around 6am....mad fool!! The upside, of course, is that he gets to leave about 2:30...

Anyway, Colin and I had a nice chat in person this morning. We have spent a lot of time e-mailing over the past few weeks, so he knows all about my demanding ways (is asking for puppies to play with too demanding? I didn't think so...but I'm now known by him as Mariah*!!), and he knows about my potential morning grumpiness (I thought it only fair to warn him!). He tap danced past my cubicle this morning doing "Jazz Hands" and beaming like a lighthouse - and this was his idea of 'subdued and not to chirpy'.

He then declared I was totally under dressed for an American office and tied his tie on me, and as a consequence I still smell faintly of Armani cologne....thankfully as Stephen and I work together he was in on the joke, otherwise I'd have some explaining to do!!

Mum sent me a really, really hilarious funny which had me shaking with silent laughter and crying. I was really trying to stifle my laughter as the cubicle farm where I sit is really deathly silent (mostly cos its empty apart from me!), so I was sitting there shaking and crying and someone walked past! They probably think I'm nuts now!!!

*My friends in the UK used to call me Victoria as (apparently) I could be quite demanding in a Posh Spice, meticulous attention to detail, flying trees in from Italy kind of way... Just because Andy was tired after a day climbing ladders preparing the room for the Winter Ball, and I was still deciding how exactly (to the millimeter) I wanted the fairy lights to be arranged...there was no need for the "Whatever Victoria" as he was busy hammering in nails willynilly to hang the lights!

No comments: