Tuesday 7 August 2007

I'm dreaming of a....warm Christmas!

Well I've had the fight with the bank over the ridiculous limit set on the debit card. Actually not so much a fight as a minor skirmish...well actually they immediately upped the limit to the maximum allowable, so I barely needed to get out of "slightly peeved, but still reasonable" 1st gear! I have yet to unleash "complete bitch fit" (6th gear) on any unsuspecting American service industry workers...but give me time!!

I've been making lists of the places we want to visit whilst we are over here. I think it would be really easy to settle into a routine, and then get to the end of our stint and go "Oh, we've got 12 weeks left here and 47 states to visit. Where do you want to go?"

One of the "must do's" is the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta which takes place around my birthday in October. The sight of 700 hot air balloons rising into the early dawn light is supposed to be incredible. (They are two hours behind us, so if we stick to DC time we'll be up at 4:30 in plenty time to see the dawn mass lift-off!) I've always wanted to go to Albuquerque, and Santa Fe is just up the road so I'm going to try and get that weekend booked soon. I was also looking at holidays in Hawaii as there is never going to be a better chance to get there (it is just so far from the UK!). It's still quite a long way from here - but at least you're saving 7 hours of journey time. I might try and combine it with a stop in San Fransisco or somewhere on the return leg. There are so many places to see!! Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, the Antebellum plantation houses in Georgia, Napa Valley, the Rockies, the national parks...the list goes on and on!!

For years we have been promising ourselves a Christmas vacation somewhere hot and sunny, so this year we might actually manage it! No presents (as Stephen's personal shopper is in Malvern and he has no idea what to surprise me with...an encyclopedia and thesaurus was one of his more desperate gifts!), just a nice 5 days somewhere sunny. Sounds good to me!

No comments: