Wednesday 8 August 2007

I need a cable guy!

Have I mentioned that it's hot here just now? I watered the front garden this morning whilst it was still reasonably shady and within 5 minutes of doing nothing more strenuous than standing there pointing the hose I was sweating buckets! I retreated to the house to get a cold drink, stand by the air con vent for maximum cooling and watch BBC America...I was just getting into the "Great British Menu" (the one for the Queen, not the most recent one) when the TV went blank and an error message came up. Aaarrgghhhhhhhhhh. I know I've complained about the TV being cr*p (and it is!) but at least it was something to do whilst Stephen is away...besides I'm beginning to enjoy Dukes of Hazzard.....

Anyway after about 30 minutes on the phone to the cable company when I got to have a really nice chat with the customer service lady (who is due to give birth to a little girl on the 26th of this month - her mother (who is Brazilian) is thrilled at the thought of having a granddaughter) they finally managed to get my service reconnected! Phewee! I can tune in to see Bo & Luke Duke righting the wrongs or Hazzard "like a modern day Robin Hood" Yeehaw!

I've also been very brave and booked a hair appointment for tomorrow! I've had two recommendations - one place in Georgetown (a faff to get to) and one place here in Old Town...which got some really crummy write-ups in the Washington Post on-line review section! So I've been brave and booked with a place in Old Town that got great reviews online, but that no-one I know has been too!!! They looked like they did quite modern cuts, so I'm hopefully not going to come out with hair like a character in Dynasty!! I'm getting it coloured too, so hopefully that large streak of white hair visible in the recent photo's will be gone and I'll no longer look like Cruella DeVille!

I've done a lot of phoning today. I've phoned the utility companies to transfer the accounts to my name (the realtor set them up for us)...water and electricity were fine - almost easy (only 10 levels of automated choices before I could speak to a person) - but the gas company need me to go in person to their office in DC to transfer the account! In person - honestly!!

I also phoned mum, and managed to sort out her internet connectivity problems. I am very proud of my geekiness today!! Just dial 1-800-YOU-GEEK!! Okay, so it was only just flipping a switch on her laptop, but still....

1 comment:

philip said...

Sounds like you're getting really settled in! Love the house! Can't wait to see it in person....

Weather has been quite nice over the last few days after the terrible floods. I'm off to Canford next week - for the last time (sniff..). It's Jimmy's last year too so that's the end of the piano course I guess!

And then my Huntingdon Hall debut on 22nd August... Yikes..!

LoL Philip