Thursday 1 January 2009

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

We had a lovely New Years Eve! We had gone to Starbucks for our first proper coffee in weeks, then round to Tysons Mall where I took full advantage of the pain and suffering of US retailers. I needed a new winter coat as mine was pretty old and pretty thin. I spent most of last winter feeling rather cold, so it was time to sort that out before it gets really cold here. I managed to get 1/3 off a nice warm coat in Macy's - off a range that the shop assistant told me was never discounted, but she discounted anyway!

Then I made out like a bandit in another clothes store. They always have good work blouses so I popped in for a look and came out with 3 tops reduced from $80 to $18, and a (faux) sheepskin jacket at $50 - but it is incredibly cosy and looks good.

It was on the way home that we realised that my purchases could not have been better timed. The radio was forecasting a temperature drop to 22F which would feel like 0F due to wind chill. As it was a pleasant mid-40'sF at this point we were sceptical, but it turned out to be true!

This caused me a slight problem: "What do you wear to a posh restaurant, and still keep warm for the walk there and back?". Lots of layers!!! By 'eck it was cold when we stepped out of the house! The high winds didn't help. At least the restaurant was cosy!!

Wearing layers of clothes, but still looking reasonably elegant.
Posing before we braved the elements!



Flipping 'eck - that was freezing!
Dressed like Nanook of the North - and still frozen through on our return to the house!
The light golden tan replaced by a pale blue hue!

Note the boots - I wore the Ugg-clones for warmth and put a pair of heels into my giant handbag to change into!


No comments: