Thursday 8 January 2009

Shovelling.....

Monday was not, perhaps, the best day of my life to date.


For a start it was the first day back in the office after a lovely two weeks of vacation. Two weeks in which I had got used to waking up when it became light...not being ripped from deep sleep by the insistent shrieking of an alarm at 6am. It was still pitch black when I first peeled my eyelids apart and tried to focus and it took a supreme effort to drag myself out of bed and into the shower.

Stephen did sterling work getting us coffee when we got to work, but it did little good in the waking up/becoming less grumpy stakes! I was still basically a zombie and remained so for a good couple of hours!! It was a busy day catching up with e-mails and sorting lots of stuff out.

I was just packing up to go home when I passed the shredder and groaned in despair. Someone had been shredding and there was paper jammed in the feeder. That was by no means the worst part though.... The door was open and there was a mountain of finely shredded paper spilling out of the machine and across the floor! I could have hurt people at this point!! I was mad that whomever had been shredding had just walked away and left the mess as if the magic cleaning fairy would come and sort it all out, and I was equally mad that someone had been dumb enough to take out the old bag and not replace it!

It turned out to be Mr Wrong-kind-of-beer who had been shredding and, to be fair, he had gone and tried to speak to Dawn about whether the cleaning service would clean it up (obviously he wasn't going to!!). It seems she was on the phone so he couldn't get an answer so he was going to his office to ignore the problem! As the cleaners can scarcely manage to empty the bins and barely vacuum, I didn't think this was going to happen so I grabbed Tim, an empty cookie tin (my scooping receptacle) and a large bin bag and set to work moving the mountain into the bag before people walked it all over the office. It turns out the magic cleaning fairies turned up after all!!

I know I joke about sometimes having to shovel sh....yes, well you all know the expression, but this was really pretty close! Another crisis averted...

Oops! Who forgot to replace the shredder bag??


No comments: