Saturday 18 April 2009

How very fascinating

Despite being awake (if only just) at 6:30 this morning, it took us a long time to get out the door this morning. It was pretty much afternoon by the time we got in the car...we'd wasted loads of time watching the grand prix qualifying and then Saturday Kitchen. I am going to ban TV in the mornings!

We were heading for Cheltenham, but got as far as the New Bridge across the Severn, took one look at the queue of traffic and did a birlie round the roundabout and went to Worcester instead. It was the first time I'd paid more than a fleeting visit to our local city since we got back. It hasn't changed a great deal! We had a quick look in a couple of furniture shops as I'm looking for some new side tables, then we split up...Stephen went to the guitar and hi-fi shops and I went looking for an outfit for Eve's wedding.

With only about 6 or so weeks to go I felt that I couldn't really afford to waste any time, as wedding outfit shopping is usually a severe trauma! And my mammoth trying on session in the first shop bore that out. I was trying on summer dresses and that patterned and floaty vibe is SO not me. I think they look fab on tall, willowy people and I am certainly neither of those! I was feeling pretty down when I hit the second shop, and wouldn't you know it - I found a lovely tailored dress. Okay, its black so perhaps not the most weddingy colour, but with the cream jacket I bought recently it looks pretty okay. I bought a fascinator too...so the only dilemma is whether to fascinate or not. Stephen did struggle to keep a straight face when I showed him the little froufrou creation perched atop my head!

I made a Thai red curry for dinner. Probably the first thing I've cooked from scratch that was more complicated than a bacon butty since I've been home. It had butternut squash in it, and I'm lucky still to have all my digits after trying to cut it up and peel it with the collection of fairly blunt knives in the kitchen! Is there a way to deal with peeling these things that doesn't put you in severe danger? The curry tasted fab! Stephen was lapping it up despite his reservations about the squash and coconut milk. Perhaps I've not lost all my culinary skills...

No comments: