Saturday 25 April 2009

T.I.M.B.E.R.......

I've spent a lot of time in the garden today. I have savagely pruned a couple of the shrubs most requiring attention. Both had seriously outgrown their space and were swamping the things around them. Both are looking considerably better now they've had a short, back and sides! There are a few more things requiring a haircut, but my shoulders and arms are aching from wielding the loppers...so more tomorrow if the weather holds.

Some bits of the garden are looking picture perfect. At long last the peony has come into its own. They are notorious for taking years to settle in when planted, and true to form I've only ever had one or two flowers per year. Until now. This year it is absolutely covered in beautiful flowers.

Briggs and Briggs Tree Surgeons came round this afternoon to help us cut down a eucalyptus tree which had got too tall and was upsetting a neighbour. It quickly turned into Briggs and Spark Tree Surgeons as Julie and I went off to have a wander round the garden whilst Andy and Stephen actually did the work. There is something quite satisfying about watching other people work...and they did a very excellent job. No expensive plants were squashed, the fence panel is still intact and there were no trips to A&E!

They were doing such a fabulous job that Julie, Louise and I felt able to quit supervising them and pop back to their garden to dig up some geraniums for my garden. I returned the favour by offering up my red hot pokers. This plant sharing business could be a great idea!

The peony in bloom.

The Bleeding Hearts are also looking lovely

Before...the tree to come out


Andy hard at work - lopping off branches



T.I.M.B.E.R.... down it comes!


Sawing it up into managable sections


Two men working in harmony

A job well done! Andy after his exertions - taken by Louise

No comments: