Wednesday 18 July 2007

Home Alone

Today is the first day on my own as Stephen has gone into the office. Its actually really nice to be able to sit down and not go shopping!! We’ve been trying to get phone, broadband and cable set up with Verizon (the company our relocation agent recommended) and this has involved faxing copies of passports and visas so they can verify identities – which takes 48 hours, so with the holiday last week this was the first time I was able to phone…and got an automated message saying the fax was illegible, please fax it again! Nnnooooooooooooooo! Not another 48 hour delay!

Otherwise I spent my day re-organising the walk in closet. This room is going to be the envy of all you ladies who come visit!! It is HUGE!! When we unpacked we were just flinging things onto the rails, so a little sorting out was needed! Or run the risk of Stephen going to work in one of my blouses by mistake!! I also managed to find time to mop floors, clean 3 bathrooms and do another couple of washings (the machine holds no fear for me now!!).
After dinner we walked along to the Union Street bar and to the lovely handbag shop beside it. I’d decided that it was silly for me to be using my fantastically expensive Prada bag at the moment, cos basically I was sweating in its general proximity, and I don’t want the “hand cured by Tibetan monks” (or whatever!) leather getting dirty…so we walked into the lovely handbag shop (I’ve often admired its window display) only to find that practically the whole stock was Prada! But not the kind of Prada that comes with a certificate and a dust case, the kind of Prada that’s $40 and Made in China…so I picked two and went to pay…only to find that there was no-one manning the register, or out the back in “accessories”…in fact no-one there at all!! We waited for a couple of minutes shouting “hello, anyone there”, then left the bags on the counter with a note saying we’d be back in 20 minutes…(we’re SO honest!!). We went to the bar next door and Stephen popped back every 20 minutes or so. The second time there was another couple in there who were trying to buy a bag from him!!! (as I said – SO honest!). It wasn’t till our final attempt did we get anyone in the shop (I only hope it was the owner!). It seems the police had tried to tow his car and he had just left the shop open and unattended for well over an hour whilst he tried to sort it out!!

(Monday 9th July)

No comments: