Friday 6 July 2007

Independence Day



your bedroom

your bathroom



our bathroom



our bedroom



View from the bed



I now know how Americans can be in work for 6:30. No-one here has curtains in the bedroom! Our bedroom looks over a wood so we’re not flashing anyone – privacy isn’t the issue! But dawn breaks at about 5:30 and you all know how grumpy I get if there a lack of sleep situation!! Stephen managed to sleep until about 7:30, and I sat in bed making lists of more things we need to buy. I was despatched to go shower first (I have to get up first!) and this was when the fun began!! I was back in the bedroom a minute later to say there was no hot water in the shower! “Go and run the taps, see if hot water comes out”, so back I go. Yes. Hot water in the sink taps. Back to running the shower….still cold…after about 5 minutes I thought ‘sod it, it’s not going to get hot is it’ and braved it! Jeez-oh it was eye-wateringly cold! I leapt to the back of the cubicle and showered by inserting a body part at a time into the water, taking it back out, soaping and then putting it back in to rinse…it was washing my hair that was really, really painful!! Putting the positive spin on this, I was very invigorated!! Stephen came downstairs when I was making coffee to tell me that he had had a piping hot shower, and I had obviously warmed the pipes for him!! SO UNFAIR!!

Despite it being July 4th and a national holiday, the shops were open so we went for another 5 mile hike around Target. Paul Winstanley had told us of a bigger and better Target just down highway 1, so we had to see if this could possibly be true! And it was!! We got a load of bedding – our trolley was literally overflowing – and a Bose ipod dock (Stephen’s first gadget buy) which is great as we don’t have a TV yet and were in danger of having to actually talk to one another!!

Do you know that there are 42 stairs for the bottom floor of our house to the top floor? After unpacking boxes and carrying stray stuff up and down 4 floors of our Townhouse I can tell you – there are 42 stairs and we’re feeling every single one!! I’m thinking of writing a new book “The Target and Townhouse Fitness Plan”…honestly, I’m feeling significantly fitter now than a couple of days ago!!

There were plenty of celebrations going as its Independence Day. We toyed with the idea of going to the National Mall in DC (the grassy strip that leads from the Capitol building to the Washington monument) to see the fireworks, but decided that we were just too tired. Instead, we walked along to King Street and down to the waterfront as you can see the Capitol building in the background. It wasn’t a fantastic view of those fireworks, but there were others going off all over the Washington skyline. There were loads of people milling about and it was a really nice atmosphere.

No comments: