Friday 20 July 2007

The Right to Bear Arms

I have a guilty secret! Today, instead of getting up when Stephen left I went back to sleep for an hour!! Its the first time I've done this and it was so good! I was really tired this morning, and I thought well either I can get up at 7 and be grouchy all day, or I can have a kip for a bit and be slightly less grouchy!! The world should be thankful today that I went back to bed!!!

It was really hot and humid today (which didn't help my general grounchiness!). I went out to water the garden and after about 2 minutes when all I had done was unwind the hose from the reel I was "glowing" buckets.

I got a message from Stephen at lunchtime to say that Paul was taking everyone in the office out for a drink tonight, and had invited me along. So I got ready - straightened my hair, did my makeup, did it again because it had slid off as I was sweating and called a cab. By the time I got to the office my hair was curly and my makeup was dripping off my chin! The blast of freezing cold air conditioning as I opened the door to the foyer almost took my breath away!!

It was good to meet everyone again. I found the conversation when we got the bar for drinks quite fascinating! Two of the girls were saying that they were both from Texas and had guns. (One seems to go hand in hand with the other!) And we're not talking one or two guns...one of these girls and her husband had 21 guns ranging from hand guns to rifles!!! Which sparked a general conversation about who had guns - which seemed to be basically everyone!! As a Brit, I found this almost unbelieveable! I mean I know its in the constitution that you have a right to bear arms, but I was pretty shocked at the fact that so many of them did!! Remind me not to tick anyone off in the office!!

Another pretty shocking thing (and this may have been the thing that sparked the conversation)...one of the girls was going on holiday to South Africa with her husband and he was going hunting. For antelope and zebra. I couldn't believe it!!! At least she didn't say elephant and tiger, but anyway....why would you want to shoot a zebra??? Is that legal? I thought that the whole animal population in Africa was protected!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Zebras are just stripey horses and antelope are just posh deer so both seem fair game to me !