Wednesday 18 July 2007

Oh, Internet, how I love thee

Now we are finally connected to the outside world I have spent today e-mailing, phoning and generally living the 21st century life! Have I mentioned that I LOVE having my Internet connection? I was lost without it! It's amazing how many things you rely on the Internet for....

Anyway, as I said it was a bit of a geeky day - e-mailing, surfing (just cos I can!) and programming phone numbers into the new cordless phone handsets. Our caller ID system is cool - it announces the name of the person calling if you have the number in the phonebook. Whereas before we gave you different ring tunes now it says "Mum Calling"....clever huh! (Well I hope it will work with international calls - otherwise all it'll ever say is "Stephen's Cell Calling"....)

Stephen's Cell called a lot today. It sent me e-mails too.... most of the time these said "Have they delivered by replacement HD box yet?". I have never known anyone nag as much!! Basically Comcast delivered us the wrong sort of HD box - for true HD quality you have to have an 8300 box (or an eighty-three-hundred box as I quickly learned to call it!) and they had delivered an 8000. I phoned them last night and Fred was supposed to make a note on the file and dispatch someone with a replacement box today. Fred was on the phone a lot this morning, so I ended up speaking to someone else only to discover that &%$£!!& Fred hadn't made any notes in my file and hadn't dispatched squat! The nice lady obviously "sensed my disappointment" and within 2 hours a lovely Rasta from Trinidad was installing the new HD box!!

I was comparing notes with the sweetie from Trinidad on how hot it is today...I had said that we'd been to the Caribbean and that it was cool compared to here just now, and he agreed. He said people are always saying to him that he should be used to the heat, but what they don't realise is that on these islands there is usually a breeze. Those Tradewinds are a fantastic thing, and we sure could use them right now... Anyway he was going back for a visit in a couple of weeks for a bit of a cool down!

No comments: