Wednesday 18 July 2007

Tysons Mall here we come!

I managed to sleep last night – might have been something to do with the wine I suppose! – and so we were up early. Stephen popped down to Safeway for breakfast provisions and came back with what passes for bacon here and “Potato” sandwich rolls…which are actually made from potato! Interesting….still it let him use the new BBQ to cook the bacon so he was happy!

We went to Tyson’s Mall this morning – got there 20 minutes before it opened (this is becoming a habit) so we had to wander a bit before we could get to the shops. (Yes, shops which are not Target or Lowe’s, proper shops, with clothes and…shoes…and handbags!! Heaven!!) We were looking for trousers which Stephen could wear to work as the ones he had kept falling down!! It turns out that Stephen’s tush is smaller than the average American tush…basically his ass doesn’t block out the sun when he bends over (in fact, some say that it may emit sunlight….), but the department stores employ tailors so they can do alterations within the hour. I hope this service extends to the ladies department when I come to buy trousers and jackets – I know I have shorter arms and legs than the average American (and possibly a smaller ass too!!).

I’ve mentioned that the neighbours are “neighbourly”, well Anna and her little puppy Willy dropped round a bag of tomatoes and cucumbers which she had grown on her allotment down the round. It was our first Welcome gift (no muffin baskets so far!) and was delicious!

We stuck a couple of steaks on the BBQ for dinner tonight (I think I may be going on a protein rich diet now we have this!) and washed them down with the bottle of champagne which we bought to celebrate moving into the house and haven’t had time to open yet!!

Stephen in the back yard enjoying a glass of champagne

Stephen showing off his mosquito bite...

...anything he can do....


I seem to have become a bit ditsy since leaving work! I made arrangements to go shopping on Monday with some of the “wives” and had completely forgotten that Monday is the day we go to get our all important social security numbers! I had to phone and apologise (for the second time!) about my complete lack of brain at the moment!!!

You know how I said it was great that American companies will send someone out at 4pm on a Sunday to hook up your phone and tv…well I’m taking it all back as no-one arrived! Still no broadband….I’m bereft!

(Sunday 15th July)

No comments: