Friday 15 June 2007

Magic knickers? I don't think so!

Stephen has sold his car - and ordered our car for the US. We're getting a Ford Escape which is a compact SUV - think of an X3 type thing and you're not a million miles away. The important thing is that it comes in Silver and (here's the technical bits for you guys) it has an engine and wheels.....

I spent this afternoon wafting about doing not very much, and realised that I had slightly underestimated the amount of time it would take to get ready for the Optronics Summer Ball. I hit the bathroom at 5pm, but it took me a long time to exfoliate, bath, wash my hair, sand the top couple of layers of skin off my face with my micro-dermabrasion kit...you know, girlie stuff! By the time I got out of the bathroom it was 6pm...and the Ball started at 7pm! The mild panic I was feeling about timings (it takes ages to straighten my hair!) quickly turned to hysterical laughter though....

Never, and I mean EVER, try to put on gripper knickers when you're slightly damp from the bath and standing in a warm room. Now these are not the smallest of smalls - they even have boning for extra "grip"! - and I got them pulled up to bum level with only a small amount of heaving and sweating, but then I ran into trouble! The boning folded over on itself and I was left with a concertina of knicker hugging my hips. By this time I was starting to laugh hysterically whilst frantically trying to tug them further up. I couldn't shift them! They were resolutely stuck....and I was starting to sweat more and more, which only made things worse. By this time I was crying with laughter, and trying to remember whether I had any talcum powder in the house. I swallowed my pride - and shouted for Stephen! Now who says chivalry is dead? Stephen came and manfully grabbed two handfuls of knicker and pulled, and pulled, and pulled. Eventually he got them to where they should be (about where they can be tucked into my bra!), with mutterings of "Jesus how big are these things". It was probably not the most enchanting sight in the world - foundation garments like these should never be seen by the man in your life!!

The Ball was fantastic. We got to catch up with loads of people, most of whom seem to be as excited about our move as we are! Perhaps they're just looking forward to finally getting rid of us!! Seriously though, it was lovely to get so many people wishing us luck!

No comments: