Saturday 2 June 2007

Glorious weather! Time to garden...

For the first time in I don't know how long it has been a beautiful day, weather-wise! And, to make the weekend even better, it's the Bransford Plant Centre annual sale! They're a wholesale suppliers who open to the public one day a year and sell plants really cheaply. I find it really difficult to go to a garden centre and pay £10+ for a plant, when I can get it at Bransford for a couple of quid (that's the Scot in me coming out!!).

Stephen and I popped along this morning with the intention of getting plants to replace the lavenders which had died in the gravel garden. We managed this and provided a source of entertainment to our fellow customers as I tried to fit 30-odd plants into the boot of a StreetKa (affectionately known to my colleagues as The Rollerskate) which has a boot big enough to take a couple of bags of crisps and not much else! I managed it - not all the plants were in the boot though - there were quite a few in the foot well and quite a few in my lap. Thankfully we only live a couple of miles away!



Due to my weakened state, Stephen was kind enough to help me dig out the dead stuff and plant up the new plants. This is something of a miracle as he detests gardening! It has always been a case of "Kerry, your grass needs cut"...but anyway the milk of human kindness kicked in and he gave me a hand. Looks pretty good....just need to buy some more gravel to top it off, but might not mention that to Stephen just yet - cos I'll need a hand spreading it and I don't want to push him over the edge!!


We had a great meal out with Richard & Justine last night. It was one of Richard's infamous "odd but good" restaurants. It sells itself as being 6 restaurants under one roof - not sure where they get 6 - but the one we were in was really good! Food was excellent, and the slightly odd photos of Gurkha's in uniform which graced the wall weren't too off-putting!! We're off out again tonight, this time to see my Uncle Jim and his wife Birgitta. I've not seen Jim since he left to go to Australia 35 years ago, so it should be an interesting night!

No comments: