Sunday 31 August 2008

Shopping and scandal

After work on Friday, we popped along to Pentagon Mall as I needed some make up. I just happened to be passing Macy's so I popped in for a quick browse...and found the most fantastic suit! Its black (quelle surprise), its Calvin Klein, and its now in my wardrobe. I had to justify it to myself...but its beautifully cut, lovely material and wasn't actually so very expensive...


I met Stephen in the food court for a coffee before we headed off. There was chaos at the parking exit. The pay station wasn't working in the mall, so we headed out as you can pay at the exit too. Except there wasn't a cashier on duty.... there were cars littered about, reversing up to get into different lines...chaos!


As we had left it way to late to book anything for the Labor Day weekend I was skimming my DC guidebook to see what touristy things we hadn't done. It was a different one from the one I usually use and full of trivia - which you know I love!! (Why can I remember trivia, but can't remember the big stuff? Like my name????). My eye was caught by the panel on DC sites of scandal, seduction and skulduggery (I wonder why!) and I noticed that the Pentagon City Mall food court got a mention. As we had just been there 1/2 hour before I was intrigued, so read on....This was where Monica Lewinsky was waiting to meet Linda Tripp for lunch, when Linda betrayed her and led Ken Starr's henchmen down the escalators to take Monica for questioning at the adjacent Ritz-Carlton. Stephen and I had unwittingly been sitting at a key spot in the Clinton impeachment saga! Who would have thought that a mall food court would be the site of such scandal!!

No comments: