Monday 20 October 2008

Dirty tactics

The Presidential campaign has been rather negative (an understatement I think!), but I was quite surprised to get a call at work the other day. It was the day after the last Presidential debate when they had argued about who had gone the most negative, and I'm pretty sure I remember John McCain was trying to put some distance between himself and the remarks that Sarah Palin had made about Obama "palling around with terrorists"....

Well, this was an automated call. We get quite a few at work, so I wasn't particularly listening as they're usually trying to convince you to swap to their phone service. I certainly paid attention when they said "...and John McCain wants you to know that Barack Obama palls around with terrorists..." and went on to tie him to William Ayers. I hung up in disgust at this point. I'm appalled that they stoop to such low tactics. Virginia is a strongly Republican state (I don't think the state has voted Democrat since Lyndon Johnson), but Obama is leading in the polls here so I guess that makes us a battleground state. I don't see how that justifies tactics like those though.

No comments: